• Register Today It's free!

overheating problem

hlover

Reaction score
City, State
camden, new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ford explorer
ok guys my truck was over heating on me a couple of moth ago and I change the termostat and it fix the problem. Now the truck is overheating again I took of the termo but it is still overheating bad. what can it be? my first thought was the pump but i am not sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

water pump

I am having a bit of an issue with mine as well... city gauge is near the middle spot - hwy -gauge is way down on the left - I am going to do the same thing - thermostat and coolant change - after that - has to be the water pump.

Water pump failures on our vehicle are usually associated with a loss of coolant, usually from a weep hole at the bottom of the pump. Neither of the posts mentioned losing coolant only overheating.

If the vehicle is only overheating without losing coolant a number of problems are common.
!. Thermostat - These have been changed
2. Fan Clutch - Tools to replace can be obtained from Auto Store
3. Clogged radiator - Backflush and clean
4. Collapsing Bottom Hose - Replace
5. Head Gasket - Usually associated with minor (pint) loss of coolant.

Let us know if the overheating is caused by loss of coolant, that can be troubleshot by doing a simple pressure test using free loaner tools from an auto store.

You could also have a blocked a/c condensor or radiatior fins. Remove the grille and clean out any debris with a nylon brush (engine degreaser also helps).

A main cause of this is leaking rubber lines on the tranny cooler, which is behind the grille, mounted to the front of the a/c condensor. If the ATF is leaking, it will act as a glue to mix with road debris (bugs, leaves, etc.) to form a nice thick layer of crud that will almost completely stop air from flowing through.

If this is happening, replace the rubber hoses and clamps, and thoroughly clean the a/c condensor fins.

This is a super cheap and easy fix. I found it after doing all the expensive, difficult stuff... :eek:

Hope this helps.

Mike

thanks I wil check all that tommorow if it does not rain like today.

thanks I wil check all that tommorow if it does not rain like today.
Did you find out your problem was. I’m having the same issue with mine. Same year and model

Back