Overheating Tranny - How bad is bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overheating Tranny - How bad is bad?

nasty_north

Reaction score
City, State
canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Eddie Bauer v6
i purchased this car a month ago for a winter beater (4 month car then sell) dont want to invest anything.

i have a tranny that was originally leaking from overflow valves on top after 10 minutes of winter driving. i replaced the tranny pan it was dented slightly restricting the intake. this thing is definately still overheating, but i dont see lots of oil on the ground. or cannot notice it as much after my tranny flush. its been a steady -10 celcius so that may be helping me on short trips.

UPDATE: NEW OVER HEAT PROBLEMS.

after driving for 30 minutes the engine temperature gauge will spike to redline for about 10 seconds and the high temp low pressure gauge lights up. again after 10 seconds its back to normal.

i have searched posts, but have yet to hear an identical case or concrete solution. Im debating replacing thermostat and flushing rad, but not sure if its both coolant and tranny coolers or just the tranny. Maybe i have a clogged tranny line, ect not sure how to proceed. help appreciated!

Let just say it happened to my wife while she was driving her 93 EB Explorer 3 years ago when i was out of town. The transmission overheated and a good samaritan who was driving behind her saw fluid gushing out under at 40mph. He followed her for another quarter mile or so and honked his horn to tell her to pull over, when she finally did the transmission bogged down and cannot go more than 10mph and when she finally pulled over on the edge of someone lawn. The fluid got so hot it started a fire on the lawn and the good samaritan who happen to have a case of newly brought bottled water, they opened it up and put out the fire. After it cool down the Explorer started right up fine but cannot move more than 5mph. She called the local mechanic shop and they towed the truck and it costed me over 2600.00 for a rebuilt transmission (that's why I'm tackling it myself if I can ever since). The mechanic said the line were clogged and heat had no where to go but thru the valve and it smoked the tranny because no fluid circulation. Main thing is the fluid do and will get so hot it will start a fire. It's nothing to sneeze at so get it fix one way or the other for safety. Good luck.

Wow , what a story. I have found new symptoms and tried some repairs. i have edited the original post to include these updates. i really hope i can figure this out! new thermostat going in tomorrow to try and solve the new temp spike

The best and cheapest way is flushed both lines on the tranny to the radiator. On that previous story I replaced the head gasket and new bolts before letting her drive the Explorer out so the engine temp really had nothing to do with it. The main thing for the tranny to get hot and overheat is mostly fluid is not circulating and you must find the clog or fluid is no longer effective? Ever since that incident and due to this site I've been pulling these trannys in and out within an hour and another 90 minutes to put it back on without any help besides a tranny jack. So far I did seven of them from 93-98 Ex and the hardest part of all is screwing in one of the tranny line back on because of awkward position. Good luck.

Back