Overheating when I get off highway | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overheating when I get off highway

96firephoenix

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
last couple of days, my Ex has been acting... peculiarly.

I have a roughly 60 mile commute - 55 on the interstate, and when I got home last night and pulled into my driveway, the truck overheated and filled the surge tank. It was making this pained burping sound at regular intervals, and I could see bubbles coming into the surge tank.

The coolant was a dark purple color - not the green Ford coolant or the pink universal that has been put in since the last flush.

I left the hood open for about 5 min, came back to check on it and the surge tank was empty.

If the coolant is low, that readily explains the overheating and the empty surge tank, but there's no obvious leaks now that I replaced the surge tank that was leaking.

Is this symptomatic of a headgasket problem? the dark coolant and the loss without signs of leakage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what's the oil look like?

Check the transmission fluid dipstick too.

I cooked a transmission one time because of a bad coolant thermostat (different vehicle). The engine was running hot and the transmission cooler is integrated into the radiator. The transmission fluid was boiling out of the dipstick tube and puddling under the car.

I cooked a transmission one time because of a bad coolant thermostat (different vehicle). The engine was running hot and the transmission cooler is integrated into the radiator. The transmission fluid was boiling out of the dipstick tube and puddling under the car.

not true for explorers
Even though Fords from the 60s use in radiator coolers Ford decided to use an external cooler in between the A/C condenser and the radiator to cool the tranny.

Sticky thermostat? Cant explain the color change, but the thermostat might be sticking causing it to not open properly. When you are on the freeway, you have enough airflow to "overcool" the liquid and it keeps the temperature down, even with slow liquid flow through the engine. Once you pull off, the liquid flow is still slow and now there isn't enough airflow to cool, so you get the overheat.

Generally cheap and easy fix to replace the thermostat. If you have other issues, you'll know if the thermostat doesn't fix the problem.

Sticky thermostat? Cant explain the color change, but the thermostat might be sticking causing it to not open properly.
Sticky thermostat jives with what I'm getting, especially since this came on suddenly (like a sudden failure of the thermostat) vs gradually (like it progressively getting worse as coolant leaks)

like you said... still doesn't jive with what I'm seeing vis-a-vis the dark coolant.

The oil looks ok. still pretty amber from the oil change 2100 miles ago.

Transmission Dipstick? LOL we don't need no stinking transmission dipstick. I've got a 5-speed manual - One of the few that do for an 02. Should have mentioned that to stave off this line of thinking.

All is not lost.

HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS

GREEN antifreeze can also be used in a Heavy Duty truck. In heavy duty applications, a Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA) should and is sometimes required to be added to the GREEN antifreeze to reduce water pump wear due to cavitation and electrolysis of the piston sleeves. This additive also comes pre-charged in the antifreeze and comes in a PURPLE color. PINK is also a color that designates a precharged SCA antifreeze as well as GREEN in some cases. Note that the purple and pink antifreeze requires monitoring at 15K mile intervals with a simple coolant test strip.

Never having dealt with purple or pink coolant, I suspect you may want to research further into their recommendation for "monitoring at 15k mile intervals".

change your thermostat, check your fan clutch

uhh....So I"m about 99% certain it's the T-stat.

I just remembered that the last couple of days that it's been doing this, I"ve gotten jack squat from the heater. Just saw this in Tom's registry that one of the first things he did was change the T-stat cuz his heater wasn't working.

From now on, I will have coffee before I post a problem. :p

Change your oil and flush the engine with engine flush. It's too easy to overheat these causing an oil flow problem thus in turn wiping out an engine.

What does the over flow smell like?
Does the exhaust smell 'sweet' at all?

Have someone open the overflow cap and watch the fluid while you start the engine. See if air bubbles go into the tank or if the fluid burps up.

What does the over flow smell like?
Does the exhaust smell 'sweet' at all?

Have someone open the overflow cap and watch the fluid while you start the engine. See if air bubbles go into the tank or if the fluid burps up.

exhaust doesn't really smell sweet, but it's hard to tell. It smells more like it's running rich.

Also, overflow smells vaguely of gasoline. :scratch:

You're thinking head gasket...

I'll get an oil change, T-stat replaced and a coolant flush done and see what that does for it.

You can rent a coolant test tool from Autozone , just pay for the chemical.
It'll detect if you have any combustion gases in the coolant. Id do this before you change out your coolant.

When I said flush I actually meant engine flush. Before a coolant flush do as Number5 says and pressure test system and check for oil and water mixing. Also check your oil for evidence of coolant if you suspect that as well.

Back