Owners with kids: Child seat question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Owners with kids: Child seat question

bobbyg123

Reaction score
City, State
Duvall, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB
Hey guys,

My wife and I have twin boys and I'm wondering if it's possible to connect 2 child seats side by side on the 2nd row bench? By hooking up both car seats on the "60" cushion of the 60-40 bench, rear seat passengers would be able to access the 3rd row pretty easily. If this isn't possible, I may opt for the 2nd row captains chairs so that people can slide between them to the 3rd row.

Thanks in advance! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

My wife and I have twin boys and I'm wondering if it's possible to connect 2 child seats side by side on the 2nd row bench? By hooking up both car seats on the "60" cushion of the 60-40 bench, rear seat passengers would be able to access the 3rd row pretty easily. If this isn't possible, I may opt for the 2nd row captains chairs so that people can slide between them to the 3rd row.

Thanks in advance! :salute:

With the 3rd row, the 2nd row is actually 40-20-40. We have the seats on the outside positions to use the LATCH atttachment points. If one of the seats was in the center, then the open side of the 40-split would not be able to be lowered.

If you want to have the easier access to the rear row, then the middle buckets would be the better choice.

Thanks Brian. I could have sworn that the middle bench was 60/40, but I'll obviously take your word on it. It's a frustrating decision because we won't be using the 3rd row very often and my wife would sometimes like to sit with the kids in the 2nd row. At the same time, it's going to take an act of congress for the Grandparents to climb back there. I'll go check it out this week.

Thanks Brian. I could have sworn that the middle bench was 60/40, but I'll obviously take your word on it. It's a frustrating decision because we won't be using the 3rd row very often and my wife would sometimes like to sit with the kids in the 2nd row. At the same time, it's going to take an act of congress for the Grandparents to climb back there. I'll go check it out this week.

yeah with the 3rd row the 2nd row seat changes to 40/20/40, without the 3rd row it is 60/40 and the 60/40 does not flip forward either since there is no 3rd row to access.

I have the 3rd row and I my rear seats are 60/40

2006 limited

I have an 06 XLT w/ third row option as well and the 2nd row is 60/40....

Mine's 60/40 on the second row, and it has the third row option. It's really tight to put two child seats side by side, but it can be done.

Whoops, i guess i was incorrect on the seat splits :salute:

i have the second row bucket seats. you can not 'slide' between them. there is a floor console. my kids love them versus the second row bench.

Back