oxygen sensors may be bad, need opinions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oxygen sensors may be bad, need opinions

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport 4wd
My girlfriend has a 96 Sport 4.0 OHV Auto, the past couple weeks it has been throwing some codes:

O2 sensor circuit slow response (bank 1, sensor 1)
O2 sensor circuit slow response (bank 2, sensor 1)
System too lean (bank 1)
System too lean (bank 2)

They don't all apear together, it's hit and miss which ones will pop up, sometimes they go away completely.
It started running rough and stalled on her once when stopping at stop sign.
Fixed an ehaust leak about a month ago, between the last cat and muffler (downstream of sensors); the leak had been appearent for about 3 weeks before fixed.

I am thinking that the O2 sensors are the cause and need to be replaced. I was about to just got pick them up but then thoughed i'd ask for other opinions first. So, does anyone have an idea of what they think it may be? Do you think I would be right in replacing the O2's? I was thinking it could be the cats also, but my first guess is O2's

Any thoughts are welcome, and thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An exhaust leak before the sensor can give a faulty reading causing a code for that side. What exactly were the code numbers?

The leak was downstream of all sensors, in between the last cat and muffler. I can't remember the code numbers off the tops of my head and don't have access to it now, sorry

Slow response and failed heater are generally the only two codes that truly indicate a problem with an O2 sensor. However when you are getting random codes on all the sensors at once would tend to think is more likely something else here. Might want to check the wiring from the sensors to make sure it wasn't damaged from the repair.

How many miles are on the engine? When was the last time the O2 sensors were replaced? It'd probably be a good idea just to replace them anyway unless they are fairly new.

Had the same issue with my 96 XLT. Good idea to replace both as they are the same age. But you are getting codes from both. Would advise replacing the bank 1 first. This is called upstream because it is before the catalytic converter This can also cause other seemingly unrelated codes. Your mileage will greatly improve as well, Your computer defaults into a set control pattern that cannot adjust for greatest efficiency because the info it needs comes from the non-working CO2 sensor, Found the best prices at Amazon. Perfect match/factory plugs/no splicing,

It's very common for people to replace sensors when it's not even the cause. If you think they are old and just want to do them then go ahead. If you could get the codes again it would be helpful in giving advice.

The vehicle has 96,000 miles on it, and I believe them to be the original sensors. I will read the codes again this evening when I get a chance and post the actual numbers.

A little more background on what I have done to the vehicle:
She bought it with 90,000 on the odometer; right away i replaced pluggs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, belt; cleaned TB and MAF sensor; changed oil/filter (and continue to change oil/filter every 3,000mi), have done 2 techron fuel system treatments (done at oil changes).
So basically a complete tune-up

I'm assuming you had the 0153 and the 0133 codes for the sensors before the cat. If you're sure there isn't an exhaust leak on both sides and the MAF is functioning properly then I'd assume both sensors are bad. I'd buy and change the one that's the simplest, reset the light and see if it comes back for that side

Ok so the three codes that are showing up right now are: 0153, 0171, 0174. This is O2 sensor crkt slow response, and system too lean on both banks.

Many times CO2 sensors do not throw codes (or their own codes). They can cause other codes to flash because of the critical role they play with the drive-ability of your truck. Their function is to analyze exhaust to send to ECU so the proper and most efficient fuel/air mixture can be attained. So if they are not operating properly the computer defaults to a program that has non-varible settings. Your truck will be driveable but not at optimum performance....ie...mileage will suffer

Back