P.A. Body Lift -vs- Trail Master Body lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P.A. Body Lift -vs- Trail Master Body lift

kurant045

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92XLT 4x4
Hey All,
I have read everything on bodylifts including step by step installations and I want everybody's final opinion, so I can decide which one to buy. I understand that the problem with Perfomance accessories 3" body lift is the brackets for the bumper relocation. I really don't want to deal with having to customize these parts and was wondering if the Trail master 3" body lift for explorers had the same problem. The installation will be on my 92" 4x4 xlt. I want the installation to go as smooth as possible but I also want good quality parts. Is the Trail master lift and PA lift similar in quality? Price is not a factor because their is a slight difference. 4 wheel parts has the PA for $74.95 and the Trail master for 69.95. So for those of you with experience on either one please give me your .02 cents of opinion so I can make a wise decision. Also for those of you who have done this installation, should I buy something else prior to starting? (e.g. steering or braking accesories and components)

Thanks in advance to all who reply,
ROBERT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to add that I have a 2" suspension lift and that might effect your response to my question about the steering or braking components that I might need after the 3" body lift. I keep reading about the superunner steering and I don't know if I need to get that as well.
Any advise is appreciated,
ROBERT

Robert,
Sorry I can't help with first hand info on these body lift kits. But, breathe easy that you don't need the superrunner steering. This system is used to correct steering linkage angles that are greatly affected by big suspension lifts.

As far as extras, if you have a manual transmission, you will need to get a shifter extension kit. Also, take a hard look at any wire routing, etc. that goes from the body to the frame. Some items may have to be extended or re-routed.
Hope this helps...

Thanks for the info wabbit, I also called superlift and they assured me that I didn't need the super runner steering with the body lift. I'm still waiting for some input on the two lifts, so that I can make up my mind on which to pick. So bring on your opinions.

Body LIft ?????

hey a little info for you, i didn't have either of these for the explorer but i bought a PA lift for my dads ramcharger and it was very incomplete not sure if the explorer one is or not but i also bought a trailmaster bodylift for my bronco II and was very pleased with it, fitment, completion, everything. if you aren't hurting on time you can get each manufacturer to mail you the parts and instructions papers to compare prior to purchasing. hope this helps.

dodger

I have quite a bit experience with both brands. I have the Trailmaster 3" body installed and a 2.5" suspension lift installed on my truck. I've encountered zero problems so far and its been about 20,000 miles. As for the lift kits themselves I found the Trailmaster to be excellent quality but they don't include the relocaion bracket for the rear bumper. After installing the Trailmaster kit I purchased the rear bumper relocation brackets seperately from Performance Acc. (about $15.00 for the pair) These things were the worst!!! Not only horrible quality but the damn things were no where near the factory hole locations. I tried to make them work but ended up being very frustrated. I took the basic dimensions and designed my own brackets. I used GRADE 8 bolts and made the brackets 4 times thicker than the P.A. brackets. I had to modify the rear portion of the truck frame a bit to make them fit but in the end it was definetly worth it. I hope this helps if you have any questions drop me an E-mail.

Derek

Dead Link Removed

Thanks for your help guys!
I think I'm going to go with the Trail Master. However I'm trying to find out if any company out there actually makes relocation brackets for the bumbers without having to alter them. I mean how hard is it for these people to make brackets if you guys are making them at home? If anybody else has anything to add, keep it coming this is the only help I have out here, were cars are dropped, not lifted.

I have the PA 3" on my Explorer. Aside from the rear bumber relocation bracket (the front isn't much better), it has been a great lift. I have had it for about four years now with out a problem. I used the relocation brackets they provided with the kit, I had to notch the rear bumper slightly for them to work though. The kit was very complete, with good instructions. It took me about 6 hours to do by myself (the wife did make food runs for me). I had to relocate/reroute some wires and hoses but nothing major.

JAY-the set came with the steering extension right?

When I called DESER RAT for the 3" body lift that they carry, they told me I have to buy the bumper brackets seperately. Then I read in http://www.4wheelparts.com that PA system had the brackets with it and steering extensions.

Yes, the PA kit does come with the steering extention and the bumper brackets. There has been mixed feelings on the steering extention though. Some feel that it makes the steering too tight, so it doesn't self center properly. Mine was like this, it self centered but not as fast. It didn't bother me but some people can't stand it. It will go away over time (mine took about 6 months) as the rag joint wears. The cure for this is to replace the steering shaft with a Flaming River (or similar) unit with universal joints. They cost between $100-$200 depending on where you get it made. I did this and the anti vibe joint wore out in a year so I just put the stock one back on. If you get one made make sure it doesn't have the anti vibe joint and it will work awsome.

As for the bumper brackets, don't worry it the kit doesn't have them. The ones that come in the kit are just 1/8" plate steel with four holes drilled in them. The measure about 3"x6" (I'm guessing). You can make them very easily if need be, or possibly make something better

Back