P0087, TSB 14-01-05 Reprogrammed PCM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0087, TSB 14-01-05 Reprogrammed PCM

ezridermn

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I am driving a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. It has about 20,000 mile on it. Awesome vehicle.

The check engine light came on yesterday. Today I took it into the local Ford dealer to find out what was going on. From the receipt it appears they identified error code P0087 which led them to reprogram the PCM per TSB 14-01-05.

I'd like to know what the problem was and what the reprogramming changed. I checked around the web trying find out more but was unable to find any detail on it.

Can anyone shed some light as to what they fixed by reprogramming the PCM?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NHTSA Item Number: 10056139
Service Bulletin Number: TSB-14-0105
Date of Bulletin: May 19, 2014
Component: Engine And Engine Cooling

Summary: Ford/lincoln: some vehicles may experience a rough idle, in gasoline turbocharged direct injection (gtdi) engine, may occur after hot start. Model 2012-2014 flex, taurus, explorer, mkt.

Ford will never say what they change in their programming. They updated your PCM programming to the latest and greatest.

The TSB says this: 3.5L GTDI DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0087 - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 6/1/2014

ISSUE:
Some 2013-2014 Explorer, 2012–2014 Taurus, MKT and Flex vehicles equipped with a 3.5L Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) engine and built on or before 6/1/2014 may exhibit a rough idle and/or DTC P0087 after a hot engine restart.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 90.03 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

NOTE: ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info!

Back TTT, my wife came home and said her CEL came on today. She had been to two stores prior, when she left the 3rd store the CEL came on and she said it felt like it had a loss of power. I checked the code when she got home and it was P0087 which according to the net is "Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low", and the CEl was still on. A few hours later I took it for a spin and the CEL was out and it drove normal, but I'm still going to call the dealer tomorrow to bring it in.

...A few hours later I took it for a spin and the CEL was out and it drove normal, but I'm still going to call the dealer tomorrow to bring it in.

Great idea, Harley#356; come back and tell us what the dealer has to say. How many miles are on the Explorer now? I'll keep checking in on this thread to see when you have news.

Crystal

Bump because I'm having a similar issue.

I installed a K&N Intake today on my '14 Explorer Sport. It has 22K miles, and was built on April 30th, 2014.

I also did this mod today, although I only did it on the front BOV just to see how loud it was. I intended to do the rear as well when I have time.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389606

Car drove fantastic. Better throttle response, better sound, it was awesome. I had to run some errands, and everything was going great. Leaving my final stop (at the grocery store), I noticed the CEL came on as I was exiting the parking lot. The code is P0087.

It seems to still be running fine and having no issues, just as much power as usual.

What I'm wondering is if this is just a coincidence that the car decided to require this TSB right now, or if it could possibly have been an issue with what I did today? Personally, I don't think I understand how an intake could cause the fuel pressure to read too low. Thoughts? Should I make an appointment at the dealer?

I went ahead and cleared the code. We shall see if it comes back I guess.

Took my Sport in for an oil change yesterday, showed the TSB to the Service Writer and they refused to update my PCM unless they found the trouble code. They say Ford wont pay for them to update the vehicle without a code. Seems a little ridiculous not to update something when its a known issue.

Took my Sport in for an oil change yesterday, showed the TSB to the Service Writer and they refused to update my PCM unless they found the trouble code. They say Ford wont pay for them to update the vehicle without a code. Seems a little ridiculous not to update something when its a known issue.

Good customer service would dictate eat the 15 mins of labor it would take to do it. Jeez

My opinion....if IDS says a programming update is available to a module in a vehicle it should be updated free of charge no questions asked. This should be checked anytime a vehicle is brought in and hooked up to IDS.

Fortunately I'm up to 24k miles and the code hasn't come back yet. Although I agree it is stupid the dealer wouldn't help.

Whether or not to carry out a TSB seems to be dealer dependent. I had a couple of TSB's done on my 2011 Explorer simply by telling the service department about the issue. In most cases it seems that they actually have to see the problem for themselves before doing any work. It has been said here many times that just because a TSB exists, doesn't mean that it will be acted upon. It isn't like a recall.

Peter

P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low

Hello all,

I have 2012 4cyl Ford Explorer Limited. It is currently having an issue where it has no power when running and also taking a long time to start. It's throwing a P0087 code which comes back with "Fuel Rail/System Pressure too low". I have done extensive research and have not been able to find to much info on this. Following recommendations form http://www.obd-codes.com/p0087 I have already replaced the fuel pressure sensor that goes on the fuel rail. This did not corrected the issue. I then spoke with a couple of other people and they stated that it could be the fuel pump since it does not have a fuel filter or so Ive been told. I dropped down the tank and did some check on the pump but was not able to find anything obvious. I don't have any tools to check for pressure so I couldn't check that. Another thing that it could be is the fuel driver module but was not able to find any information about that as far as to the location. I am about to give up and take it to the shop but wanted to give forum a shot to see if I can get some additional ideas.

Hello all,

I have 2012 4cyl Ford Explorer Limited. It is currently having an issue where it has no power when running and also taking a long time to start. It's throwing a P0087 code which comes back with "Fuel Rail/System Pressure too low". I have done extensive research and have not been able to find to much info on this. Following recommendations form http://www.obd-codes.com/p0087 I have already replaced the fuel pressure sensor that goes on the fuel rail. This did not corrected the issue. I then spoke with a couple of other people and they stated that it could be the fuel pump since it does not have a fuel filter or so Ive been told. I dropped down the tank and did some check on the pump but was not able to find anything obvious. I don't have any tools to check for pressure so I couldn't check that. Another thing that it could be is the fuel driver module but was not able to find any information about that as far as to the location. I am about to give up and take it to the shop but wanted to give forum a shot to see if I can get some additional ideas.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Using the Forum's handy 'Search' function on "P0087", I found this thread and merged yours with it.
Please update your profile to show 2012 Limited FWD. The 'trim' level can be helpful when members reply to some issues you may have in the future. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back