P0171 & P0174 4.0L SOHC's Sport/Sport Trac | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0171 & P0174 4.0L SOHC's Sport/Sport Trac

OUTSTANDING!!!! Pic ID'd it perfectly. Entire top of bend was semi-collapsed with a big nasty slit.
Hats off to all the contributors to this!!

Update: With with check engine lite getting consistently tripped after 5 minutes of driving time, placed a strip of electrical tape over the opening and problem hasn't occured with 100 miles of drive time. Nice way to verify the problem.

Update to the update: Amazon's link for part is here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V50D3I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(also realize the parts pic doesn't represent the item you're gonna get, but it is the correct p/n)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

synthoms

what are the synthoms of a bad pvc hose usally when i go over 40 it shakes and cuts out

what are the synthoms of a bad pvc hose usally when i go over 40 it shakes and cuts out
Most auto parts stores scan for trouble codes free, call around. Write them down and report back. GL

I am throwing these same codes. However, I am not exactly sure where this is located. Can someone please point me in the right direction of where I can find this (Possibly a more zoomed out view)? Thanks!

Should have read this first!

I have been getting these codes on my 2001 Ranger 4.0 4WD. So far I have replaced the intake gaskets, the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF and O2 sensor and the EGR to no avail.
I had removed this hose to do the intake gaskets and must have overlooked the large crack in the elbow. Thanks OP and all who contribute!
SAM_0777.jpg

Hello to all. Well I've got that hated code. I've read from top to bottom this thread I did not see the pn # for job 1. Can anyone share this with me.
thanks!

It's amazing how much vacuum is present in the suspect elbow. I've had the codes for a few weeks now and after checking this forum, I decided it was time to get it done. I started it this morning and was somewhat surprised to see the elbow pretty much totally collapsed by the vacuum - I touched it and could hear the rush of air.
I removed the elbow and tightly taped it up with rubber tape - reset the DTC's and drove it for 60 miles. All is well and I've ordered a complete new hose to be installed next week.
One thing I did notice was after correcting the vacuum leak the engine initially ran rough/low idle and stalled once on startup. After a bit of running, all seems good now.

Hi everyone! This is a very good thread and it sounds like this may well be the solution to my problems - very bad fuel mileage, and intermittent throwing of the P0174 code (the intermittent part has been the most puzzling.) I just went through and changed my upper intake gaskets, without much noticeable effect.

One problem though - I just went out and checked, but on my 98 mountaineer, the hose arrangement - in fact the intake manifold itself is different that as shown in the photo. My PVC valve and hoses to the manifold are exactly the same, though. I think mine runs under the intake instead of around it. Am I right? If so, how can I locate the connection at the front of the motor where the elbow is - or did they change that from earlier versions, too?

hello everyone..i have these same codes for about 2 months now and cant seem to find where or why the keep being thrown. i have talked with nranchero a few times about it but cant seem to get it fixed. i have replaced me intake manifold gaskets, both upstream o2 sensors, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, elbow and vacuum line from pcv to intake is good. i dont know where else to look or test to see why its being thrown still..i did last night take my intake manifold off again to inspect my gaskets and while i had it off i put some rtv gasket sealant on the seem of my manifold just in case there may be a slight leak on the manifold itself. any ideas ??

My hats off to ranchero and all of you who have contributed. Thx soo much for an awesome thread, i just started having the dreaded pair of codes a couple weeks back. I sprayed everywhere looking for a leak first and nothing, was just about to tackle the O2 sensors and maybe egr until i came across this thread. low and behold this elbow was my culprit and wouldnt of caught it until it was removed. Very weak and spongy and once it was removed, one could see how it was collapsed and had a slight tear underneath. Thx so much guys, you guys just saved me from a bunch more headaches and busted knuckles... :salute:

Bank 1 Lean msg/0171 & 0174 Codes. I was on my way to purchase O2 sensors, etc. After reading posts here I spent $12.95 for a PVC elbow, $2.79 for a couple hose clamps to ensure a snug fit, cleaned the MAF sensor and Throttle Body. Cha-ching! She is humming just like before. Gonna change out the PVC valve for good measure - part is on order. I really appreciate the wisdom of those that have gone before me. Much Thanks to all who contributed.

Hello all, I've read through this thread and am having some trouble. My fiance's 2001 ford explore sport is throwing a P0174 code. I reset the code last weekend just to see if it would come back and it did several days later.
I tried searching for the PCV elbow that people have been finding cracks in and replaceing. I really feel like a fool b/c after searching for a long time I could not find the PCV elbows. What I did find was these two elbows.
4b7c649d-8708-4d46-9f40-db4e70624420_zps2f418c50.jpg

c26363f8-4d48-4018-8376-a9370f1f1f03_zpsaa4dbb0f.jpg

Is her engine model different then the ones in this thread? The elbow I found are plastic and they have a T connection in the middle of the hose heading to another location I could not see.

Am I looking in the wrong place for the PVC elblows ? If so could someone help me out and point me in the right direction?

Is this model a Job 1 ? I saw Job 1's were sport tracks but is the sport also fall in the Job 1 category? If so what should I be checking.

Thank you

04 ST Same PO174 Problem. No power, high/low rough idle, bad gas mileage. Replaced PCV Hose, PVC Valve, intake manifold gasket, EGR valve, fuel filter, cleaned air intake filter, cleaned MAF, ran injector system cleaner, ran HEET to get the water out of the system. I have 180,000 Miles, what could be left to fix.

I found these, but do they apply to the Sport Trac, and if, would updating software get rid of my problems>?

Bulletin Number: 18719
Bulletin Date: 2005-07-01
Component: Fuel System, Other
Summary
Malfunction indicator lamp coming on with diagnostic trouble codes (dtcs) p0171, p0172, p0174 and/or p0175 (fuel system too rich or lean). *tt

Also:

Ford has a tsb to reprogram the pcm.
Printable View (6 KB)
TSB
04-22-11 MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC'S) P0172, P0175, P0171 AND/OR P0174 - 4.0L SOHC ENGINE - VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 10/4/2004

Publication Date: October 28, 2004

FORD: 2004-2005 Explorer
MERCURY: 2004-2005 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 04-19-7 to update the vehicle model years and DTC information.

ISSUE:
Some 2004-2005 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer vehicles built prior to 10/4/2004 with the 4.0L SOHC engine, may exhibit the MIL illuminated with one or more of the following DTC's:

P0172 - SYSTEM TOO RICH (BANK 1)
P0175 - SYSTEM TOO RICH (BANK 2)
P0171 - SYSTEM TOO LEAN (BANK 1)
P0174 - SYSTEM TOO LEAN (BANK 2)

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B33.10 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
042211A Check For Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Reprogram Powertain Control Module 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

fuel vapor management valve

. . . My fiance's 2001 ford explore sport is throwing a P0174 code. I reset the code last weekend just to see if it would come back and it did several days later.
I tried searching for the PCV elbow that people have been finding cracks in and replaceing. I really feel like a fool b/c after searching for a long time I could not find the PCV elbows. What I did find was these two elbows. . . Is her engine model different then the ones in this thread? The elbow I found are plastic and they have a T connection in the middle of the hose heading to another location I could not see.

Am I looking in the wrong place for the PVC elblows ? If so could someone help me out and point me in the right direction?

Is this model a Job 1 ? I saw Job 1's were sport tracks but is the sport also fall in the Job 1 category? If so what should I be checking.

Thank you

Those are the connections for the fuel vapor management valve hose. The two hoses combine into one hose at the front of the engine that is routed down and then over to the fuel vapor management valve below the battery tray. The PCV valve is located behind the upper intake manifold.
VALVE.JPG

See this thread for more info: SOHC PCV Valve Mod thru 2000

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are the connections for the fuel vapor management valve hose. The two hoses combine into one hose at the front of the engine that is routed down and then over to the fuel vapor management valve below the battery tray. The PCV valve is located behind the upper intake manifold.
View attachment 77441

See this thread for more info: SOHC PCV Valve Mod thru 2000

Thank you, I'll look at the linked thread. could the PCV valve be the cause of the P0174? If so I'll replace it for sure, the car has 208K on it so I'm sure it could use a new PCV.

Back