P0171 & P0174 4.0L SOHC's Sport/Sport Trac | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0171 & P0174 4.0L SOHC's Sport/Sport Trac

You guys are aces.

The CEL is on my wife's 2003 Sport Trac. I scanned it and found the P0171 and P0174 codes. I did some more checking and after eliminating a few things was about to pull the intake manifolds and change the O-rings when I found this thread.

I went out and checked the PCV tubing and I swear the picture on the 1st page of this thread is exactly how my tubing looks. Exactly!! O'Reilly's supposedly has the right size tubing and bend so I should be able to get my problem fixed today.

If it weren't for you guys I would be doing some unnecessary work, and then would be deeply unhappy when the truck still threw the codes.

Many, many thanks to you all, and I'll drink a beer for yawl tonight. :thumbsup:

Howard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My PCV Hose Replacement

I popped a CEL that showed a P0171 & P0174 error. Hmmm... Where did I see those codes before? www. explorerforum.com!

Here's the culprit:
IMG_20141205_164710_zpshwfhnhdw.jpg

And here's the cure (this is a later shot of the package with the old hose in it):
IMG_20141205_170923_zpseqzsva8f.jpg

New hose installed (note that I have temporarily relocated the upper radiator hose to the front of the oil fill to gain room to work):
IMG_20141205_164740_zpstsefitsz.jpg

Radiator hose back in place:
IMG_20141205_164807_zpsu1ozeask.jpg

My $30 scan tool:
IMG_20141205_165723_zps40xwovmj.jpg

And, viola!, the CEL light is gone!
IMG_20141205_165416_zpsepkcphma.jpg

Thanks to all those intrepid souls who have gone before me. This site is the best!

PO171 & PO174 Fixed

Found the same crack on the elbow. Too far from a Ford Dealership. Used a rad hose with same inside diameter from local parts store. Cut to length and so far with a couple hundred miles no more codes

Found the same crack on the elbow. Too far from a Ford Dealership. Used a rad hose with same inside diameter from local parts store. Cut to length and so far with a couple hundred miles no more codes

When you get a chance, replace that hose with one that is gas and oil resistant, like fuel line or PCV hose. I got mine off the "HELP" rack, pre-bent and everything.

Good luck!

Will do thanks for the heads up

Issues with Job 1, even though not covered.

Has anyone figured out anything like this for the Job one intake systems? That's what I have on my 2001, my truck idles horribly and sometimes when I put it in gear it will die. It seems to be getting a bit worse, and I have been looking for this issue for over a year now. If anyone has any help I would greatly appreciate it.

Zukgod My wife's truck is a Job one and recently we just replaced the intake manifold gasket. That has seemed to fix our issue, which sounds the same as yours.

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. How did you decide it was the intake manifold gasket? I have sprayed all kinds of things around the intake without any change to the idle. I just wonder if there is a way to test intake manifold issues. Our truck is throwing no codes at all, or check engine lights.

Zukgod I also had sprayed around and never noticed a change in the idle. We eventually brought it to a shop. They did the smoke test and saw sighs of a leak in several spots right away.

Finally replaced the whole pcv hose w/ elbows and new pcv valve as preventive maintainence (no cel) but at 165k and no info if it's ever been changed. I used todds write up from mysporttrac and he mentions the difficulty in unlocking the valve and locking the new, I didn't have this problem and think it may not be fully seated? When removing the old, it was wiggly in its spot and came off by hand turning cc. The new turned the same way and seemed to stop/lock by hand. It seems tight until I reconnected the elbow which now makes the new valve wiggly like the last one. It's a slight wiggle. I keep reading about tabs being on the inside valve cover that can break,bus this correct? I didn't have channel locks to try and grip and force turn it but at the same time didn't need it for the old either. So maybe it's seated properly w/ slight wiggle or it's been replaced in the past and they broke the internal tabs?

The old valve was pretty oily, normal? And only had a slight rattle-comparing to the new. I also didn't rub oil on the o ring, should I remove and do this step?

Thanks for any suggestions

I just replaced the PVC hose on my ST. It's an easy fix, but man Ford is crazy with the prices of their parts. Local dealer charged me $38 for that hose. Ridiculous!

I just go to a fleet supply store and make my own from copper and hoses. Costs about $20 less. Also stating this for future people looking at this. Just look at how it works and make your own.

I actually cannot locate the pcv hose/elbows with the 90° angles on my 2001. The pictures I'm seeing in this thread look somewhat different from my engine. There is a sticker on the engine that says it was made on 5/10/2000 if it makes any difference, and the layout of things under the hood is different from other 4.0's I've seen. A ford dealer has the pcv hose assembly (motorcraft kcv-190) in stock and I need to fix this thing now...should I buy it or is there a different part I need?
BTW the problem Im having is my truck dies when I let off the gas or it gets under 1000 rpm. Had this problem before but now it won't fix itself...

I actually cannot locate the pcv hose/elbows with the 90° angles on my 2001. The pictures I'm seeing in this thread look somewhat different from my engine. There is a sticker on the engine that says it was made on 5/10/2000 if it makes any difference, and the layout of things under the hood is different from other 4.0's I've seen. A ford dealer has the pcv hose assembly (motorcraft kcv-190) in stock and I need to fix this thing now...should I buy it or is there a different part I need?
BTW the problem Im having is my truck dies when I let off the gas or it gets under 1000 rpm. Had this problem before but now it won't fix itself...

Almost sounds like a intake gasket leak.

2005 Ford Explorer xlt Eddition 4.0l v6 SOHC rough idle no checke engine light

Hi I have 2005 Ford Explorer xlt edition 4.0l v6 SOHC an it has a rough idle an idles at 600rpm sometimes almost 500rpm also will die out when coasting but hasn't stalled out on me in awhile thank god an I have no check engine light on I cleaned MAF an throttle body an intake still doing it I bought a IAC valve for it but come to find out there's no IAC valve so I took the part back but now I'm stuck anybody help me plzzzzz. . An what are these lean codes mean po171 an po174

intake leak

You probably have an intake leak that affects both banks. It could be due to dried out intake manifold gaskets but there are other possible causes. The only reliable way to determine if and where there is a leak is with a smoke test: inject smoke into the intake manifold when the engine isn't running and see where smoke escapes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

example smoke tester

Here's a link to an example smoke generator and how to use it: Checking for vacuum leaks using home made smoke pump. There are lots of other examples. If you don't have access to an air compressor you could take your vehicle to an automotive repair shop and have the test done professionally.

Back