• Register Today It's free!

p0171-p0174 codes pos. fix

bradsx

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ex 4x4
i have been getting these codes. my cause was a leak with the brake booster. put a new booster on and no codes yet and better gas mpg's. i have randomly drove now for a week. i have a 97 4.0 sohc.

awsome!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice to hear of GOOD results too, as often only BAD make the news! imp

My codes were from the cracked PCV elbow, FYI just in case your codes come back

often overlooked

i have been getting these codes. my cause was a leak with the brake booster. put a new booster on and no codes yet and better gas mpg's. . .

The brake booster is often overlooked as a possible source for lean codes. Nice going! Did your pedal firmness improve? I've noticed that the vacuum connection to my booster seems a little loose. I may replace the check valve.

yes the the guy that worked on it said " be carefull when you apply the brakes, you might go thru the windschield" . it idles better alot better now

Good analytical skills buddy! I think I am in the clear with my battle against lean codes which was quite the adventure...

So how to you determine that it was the brake booster? Did it whistle when you hit the brakes?

i needed new front brakes and rotors, grinding. the brakes worked ok but was soft when pushed to floor for fast stop. i was used to it. when the mechanic put on new brakes he didnt stop in time for his driveway after a test run. i think he open it?? but he called me and i could hear the hiss over the phone when he applied the brakes. i never heard it hiss inside the truck (son,radio, old truck noises) ;)

sounds like you found yourself a great tech:thumbsup:

Back