P0171 & P0174 - Help Identifying Hoses 06 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0171 & P0174 - Help Identifying Hoses 06 4.0

Crate

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2006
2006 Explorer 4.0L
After searching through these forums I have found that the possible issues to my Explorer jerking, dying, rough idling etc after using my neighbors code reader that these codes are linked to many issues. The first identifiable issue is cracked hoses. Which is where I will start but the problem I am having is I have no idea what these hoses are called or what parts they connect to so when I go to the local auto parts store i know what ask for. I was hoping you smart group of members could help me out to identify what these hoses are called or what parts they connect to so I can get this explorer back up and running again. For the sake of sanity I will replace them all. Ive read even the slightest crack unseen to the eye would cause these problems. If I've missed any hoses that you all are aware of please tell me I do appreciate your help! Thank you.

I have the hose part# for the mass air flow sensor which is printed directly on the hose.

Following up the air box to the Intake there is another sensor I believe that has a very bad cracked hose (first photo) that runs back into some other part of the intake I believe (second photo).
33o1eaa.jpg

2mhii3s.jpg

The image below goes to there are some hoses that connect to some type of valve then down under the explorer to a location unknown.
a3l7yr.jpg

The first photo is the vacuum hose for your evap purge valve solenoid which you were pointing at and the second is the vacuum hose for the positive crankcase vetilation. Check the vacuum hose going to the brake booster, it maybe loose and just needed a clamp.

The first hose was in ruins, i replaced that tube that goes to the evap purge valve solenoid and codes 0171 & 0174 went away. Then I got code P2195 which could be vacuum leak, o2 sensor etc. I did have the transmission replaced so i went under the car unplugged the upstream O2 and reconnected it, I haven't gotten P2195 since but you never know.

Replacing that vacuum line on the evap purge valve solenoid solved the car staling, rough idle and rpm from jumping at idle. Hope it helps someone else. Thanks Fritz.

Solved. The 2195 went away reseating the upstream O2 sensor located on driver side exhaust manifold. Thanks again!

Back