P0193 Questions

sjconley

Reaction score
City, State
Akron, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
Hello,

My 2007 Explorer (XLT, V6 4.0L, 4WD, 175k miles) has been experiencing a check engine light, intermittently, for the past few months. I took it to AutoZone to read the code and they gave me a printout for P0193. For awhile, the light would go off after I filled the tank with gas (usually the next day) and would come again as the level in the tank decreased (typically around 1/4 of a tank). Then about two months ago, the behavior seemed erratic and I could no longer predict when it would appear. During the past couple of weeks I only recall seeing the CEL once (briefly); it's mostly been off. Saturday night I was out driving and it came on again. About two hours later, my vehicle "conked out" on me. It started hesitating (it's been a very long time since I've run out of gas, but that's what it reminded me of). Fortunately, there was no traffic and I was able to get it off the road but didn't have enough momentum to get it into a defined parking space before it quit. I sat there for awhile pondering my options (not too many since it was the middle of the night and I don't have road service). After about 10 mins or so, I decided to see if I could get it started. It did start and I was able to drive it home (< 10 miles). It's been sitting in the driveway since because I'm afraid of getting stranded if I drive it again.

After everything I've read the past couple of days, I'm expecting that I need to replace at least the fuel filter, the fuel rail pressure sensor and the intake gaskets for the manifold. I am not a mechanic, don't have diagnostic tools, my funds are really limited right now and I'm pretty much on my own to figure this out.

Q1: For those who may have some knowledge about this particular issue, does the intermittent nature of the CEL give any clues to which part(s) might be malfunctioning?

Q2: I found a replacement FRPS made by Bosch on Amazon -- can anyone give me a thumbs up on this brand? Here's the link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product..._mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow... 8 days and not a single reply (was it something I said,,,LOL??). Oh well, my original questions are no longer relevant, so on to the current issue. I'm working on getting to the FRPS. I just got the throttle body off and I'm wondering is it absolutely necessary to remove the EGR valve in order to get the intake cover off?

UPDATE (7/27): I've loosened all 8 bolts for the manifold cover. Removed two bolts from the EGR valve as well as disconnected the intake pipe. I cannot get the stinkin' cover off (or the EGR valve). There are also a couple of hoses that I haven't been able to get off yet.... :-( I'M STUCK and looking for suggestions on how to move forward.

I am sure someone with the v6 who had to take the intake off will chime in :)

We try to help each other, but sometimes you may the first one to do a certain repair, thus no response.

Have same code issue. what did you finally come up with ?

Back