• Register Today It's free!

P0303...plug ok - What now?

motor3124

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I recently picked up a 2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC with 123K miles, was an older mans truck that sat at the family vacation home. I did the usual maintenance including motorcraft plugs, wires as well as the upper & lower intake gaskets since the idle was low and had a vibration. This also fixed the 15-18 % high fuel trim on both banks. I put about 200 miles on it as a daily driver and as I pull in the driveway I get a rough idle / check engine light - P0303. Also bank 2 shows 25% fuel trim while bank 1 is normal???

Things I've tried so far with no change:

Swapped in one of the old plugs
Swapped in an old plug wire
Tried another coil pack I have laying around
Swapped upper and lower intakes with a spare set
Smoke tested for vacuum leaks

What do I check next???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently picked up a 2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC with 123K miles, was an older mans truck that sat at the family vacation home. I did the usual maintenance including motorcraft plugs, wires as well as the upper & lower intake gaskets since the idle was low and had a vibration. This also fixed the 15-18 % high fuel trim on both banks. I put about 200 miles on it as a daily driver and as I pull in the driveway I get a rough idle / check engine light - P0303. Also bank 2 shows 25% fuel trim while bank 1 is normal???

Things I've tried so far with no change:

Swapped in one of the old plugs
Swapped in an old plug wire
Tried another coil pack I have laying around
Swapped upper and lower intakes with a spare set
Smoke tested for vacuum leaks

What do I check next???
has many causes including low compression etc etc so mant causes is the 25% idle load etc?

The long term fuel trim for bank 2 is 25% at idle. I'm using Forscan and a laptop for diagnostics.
i dont think mine was like that at idle but its been a while

Maybe #3 injector left work early...?

My OHV did the same at about 150K miles,
but I didn't check the fuel trim.

cyl 3 misfire

check wiring to the injector since you were just in there
Very likely the injector is clogged or not firing

Run engine, blurp throttle, shut it down, pull plug on #3 is it wet with fuel?

Well...did a compression test. Cylinder 3 is at 30 psi. All others at 150. I'll be taking the passenger valve cover off to see what's up. It looks like a ******* to take the head off with the timing chain setup coming from the back on this side if it needs head work.:oops:

Well...did a compression test. Cylinder 3 is at 30 psi. All others at 150. I'll be taking the passenger valve cover off to see what's up. It looks like a ******* to take the head off with the timing chain setup coming from the back on this side if it needs head work.:oops:
Yeah not fun bro that sucks good luck

That does suck

pull the engine

seriously I would
Do the compression test again to confirm it was not a fluke (I doubt it not with the code corresponding to the cylinder) but we have to check

Then add a capfull of oil and do it again, any increase in psi? (points to rings if it increases, if not points to valves)

Now after you confirm cyl 3 is FUBAR its time to pull the engine, messing with removing the head on the passenger side on a SOCH is not going to happen, tear down maybe, but repair no way jose...........quicker and easier to lift the engine out

Then once you pull it, it may just be easier to replace with a low mileage used motor

It’s a rabbit hole for sure

Back