P0304 after coolant leak | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

P0304 after coolant leak

Terry Carter

Reaction score
City, State
Graham
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4x4
So my wife went to Walmart yesterday. Pulled into the parking lot and the coolant boiled out.

Got it to a buddy's house who lives a mile down the street and popped off the motor cover.

The small rubber blockoff plug on back of the intake had shot off. I replaced the spring with a radiator clamp and refilled the radiator. No more leaks and temp gauge shows normal.

After running about 6 miles I got a code P0304, misfire on cylinder 4.

My initial thoughts are everything got soaked when the radiator blew all the AF out.

Am I hosed here or is there anything I can do to resolve this? I see a lot of people saying to replace intake gaskets but is that needed if everything just got flooded or should I just try blowing out any of the old AF I see on the intake?

Any help is appreciated.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Terry Carter

Reaction score
City, State
Graham
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Yep 4.6l V8 with a 5r55w auto. Looks like I need to figure out which cylinder is number 4. I'm assuming I should just pull that coil pack and blow it out?

Terry Carter

Reaction score
City, State
Graham
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Perfect thanks. Gonna give it a look shortly.

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
Looks like I need to figure out which cylinder is number 4.

4.6L_Fire_Order.png

Terry Carter

Reaction score
City, State
Graham
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4x4
I pulled the number 4 coil and blew out the remaining AF with the air hose. Put it all back together and reset the SEL. Everything seems good to go now after a few mile drive. No bucking and kicking. I have only had the Exp a few weeks now. It needs a good bit of work so I am sure I will be back on here asking you guys for input. Thanks for the replies.

fordysenior

Reaction score
City, State
True Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Expl 4x4 XLT 4.6L
The small rubber blockoff plug on back of the intake had shot off. I replaced the spring with a radiator clamp and refilled the radiator

Sounds like you probably have a Dorman aftermarket intake manifold with the small rubber plug on the rear passenger side. If so, they're notorious for being a problem. I've had one pop off with the original Dorman plug and Dorman clamp when under hard acceleration, and I've had the aftermarket plugs wear out within a couple of years. I've found using an old standard screw down clamp is necessary, and cutting a piece of heater hose and capping it off is what will last. I got stuck out of town twice thanks to that stupid set up before I did it this way.

Terry Carter

Reaction score
City, State
Graham
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Sounds like you probably have a Dorman aftermarket intake manifold with the small rubber plug on the rear passenger side. If so, they're notorious for being a problem. I've had one pop off with the original Dorman plug and Dorman clamp when under hard acceleration, and I've had the aftermarket plugs wear out within a couple of years. I've found using an old standard screw down clamp is necessary, and cutting a piece of heater hose and capping it off is what will last. I got stuck out of town twice thanks to that stupid set up before I did it this way.
That's correct. I believe it was a foreman and does have the rubber plug.

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
Tip: Stay away from Dorman junk. Consider it a temporary repair if you must use Dorman in a quick pinch.

I have a Dorman exhaust manifold on another vehicle that is factory turbocharged. The Dorman manifold HAS CRACKED and is leaking exhaust!

2vw9oqu.jpg