• Register Today It's free!

P0420 4.6l 02

superdad123123

Reaction score
City, State
wilmington, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, explorer xlt
okay so after replacing nearly everything external I now have a new code. P0420.

I’ve got new 02 sensors, new plugs(double platinum), coils, replaced a faulty injector, new egr, used a bottle of cataclean, new water pump, thermostat and radiator.

Car runs fine but the toxic ticking has come back after about a week of a quiet engine after replacing the fuel injector. Now I have noticed a slight tinge if gas in my oil based on smell but have had mixed answers from a few people that have smelled it some say “smells like oil” I smell gas and it’s about 50/50. Oil was changed about 3-4 days before I found out injector 1 was leaking causing it to run really rich. Changed the injector but haven’t changed the oil yet.

I only drove the car in town 35 45 at the most for less than 10 mile round trips.

I’ve read this code is a cat but should I take it out on the interstate and open it up wide to burn through carbon in the cat? Will that even work or matter?

Is it possible that the ping you hear is particles of catalytic converter rattling around? I recently found that the passenger side cat had disintegrated on my Mutanteer. It made LOUD pinging sounds that at first made me thing the torque converter or flexplate had failed.

My limited experience tells me a P0420 is far more likely to be a failed cat than an O2 sensor.

Is it possible that the ping you hear is particles of catalytic converter rattling around? I recently found that the passenger side cat had disintegrated on my Mutanteer. It made LOUD pinging sounds that at first made me thing the torque converter or flexplate had failed.

My limited experience tells me a P0420 is far more likely to be a failed cat than an O2 sensor.
@Donald Haulsee
Agree! My '04 4.0 has been telling me "O2 Heater Resistace", for over a year now, runs just fine, have learned O2 codes are used as analysis tools for cats. In my case, they need to be replaced. How many miles on your cats, @superdad123123 ? imp

Back