P0456 w/Stabilitrak error | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0456 w/Stabilitrak error

goochman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
So a month ago the CEL was on and we had a P0456. A trip to the dealer had the evap canistor and one of the catalytic converters replaced to fix. They also found a leak in the PTU and replaced seals to fix that.

Fast forward a month and while out of town (of course) my wife called telling me she got a Stabilitrak warning, something about the 4WD and then the light on the "selector" switch was off.

She was driving on dry pavement around town. Normally these point to the PTU crapping out so I told her as long as the vehicle didnt make sounds or shake she could drive home, just know that it will be in FWD.

Next day everything was back to normal - no lights on the dash, nothing. The selector switch for 4WD was lit and appeared to be working.

I hooked my code reader up the my Explorer and it showed a "Permanent P0456" stored. There is no CEL light lit up.

I called my dealer and they were happy to check things out for a diagnostic fee, but if the CEL light isnt on they most likely wont have anything to fix.

So - I doubt a P0456 has anything to do with the PTU, but anyone have thoughts on why this is stored but not CEL?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suspect that either the dealer didn't reset the fault code or they didn't fix the problem and it's coming back.

I have no idea why your "code reader" would display the DTC as a "Permanent" fault, that isn't standard Ford nomenclature.

So a month ago the CEL was on and we had a P0456. A trip to the dealer had the evap canistor and one of the catalytic converters replaced to fix. They also found a leak in the PTU and replaced seals to fix that.

Fast forward a month and while out of town (of course) my wife called telling me she got a Stabilitrak warning, something about the 4WD and then the light on the "selector" switch was off.

She was driving on dry pavement around town. Normally these point to the PTU crapping out so I told her as long as the vehicle didnt make sounds or shake she could drive home, just know that it will be in FWD.

Next day everything was back to normal - no lights on the dash, nothing. The selector switch for 4WD was lit and appeared to be working.

I hooked my code reader up the my Explorer and it showed a "Permanent P0456" stored. There is no CEL light lit up.

I called my dealer and they were happy to check things out for a diagnostic fee, but if the CEL light isnt on they most likely wont have anything to fix.

So - I doubt a P0456 has anything to do with the PTU, but anyone have thoughts on why this is stored but not CEL?
Try Forscan

You need to take it out of demo mode. It's just a feature of the software that allows you to see how the software would work when connected to a vehicle.

All of the Focus data is completely fake.

You need to take it out of demo mode. It's just a feature of the software that allows you to see how the software would work when connected to a vehicle.

All of the Focus data is completely fake.

Lol, that explains alot! The first error is what I was experiencing before.

Ok I ran it in configuration mode and this is what ift found (removing the empty portions) - anything of concern here? I dont have a CEL lit on the dash:

===C-CM DTC U0418:68-28===
Code: U0418 - Invalid Data Received from Brake System Control Module A

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Event Information

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Cruise-Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 159874727 sec - Global real time
-IFC_D703: 0 - Internal Module Fail Code
===END C-CM DTC U0418:68-28===

===ABS DTC C1B00:64-68===
Code: C1B00 - Steering Angle Sensor

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal Plausibility Failure

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Test not complete

Module: Antilock braking system

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 159874725 sec - Global real time
-POWER_MODE: Running - Power Mode Status
-ABS: Inactive - ABS
-AYC: Inactive - AYC
-BTCS: Inactive - BTCS -201D
-HDC: Inactive - HDC
-RSC: Inactive - RSC
-BTC: Inactive - BTC
-VAC_BST_ST: Inactive - Active Vacuum Booster State
-BST_REL_SW: Inactive - Booster Release Switch State
-HYD_PMP_ST: Inactive - Hydraulic Pump State
-VPWR_ABS: 14.10 Volt - Module supply voltage
-VSS: 47.0 km/h - Vehicle Speed
===END ABS DTC C1B00:64-68===

===PSCM DTC U0121:00-0A===
Code: U0121 - Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module A

- DTC Present at Time of Request

Module: Power Steering Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-SWRS: 0 rev/min - Steering Wheel Rotation Speed
-SW_ANGLE: 0.00 ° - Steering Wheel Angle
===END PSCM DTC U0121:00-0A===

===PSCM DTC U0151:00-0A===
Code: U0151 - Lost Communication With Restraints Control Module

- DTC Present at Time of Request

Module: Power Steering Control Module