P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)

86capriasc

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)

I now get this code after swapping trans in the wife's 98 Explorer sohc.

What does it exactly mean? The truck runs and drives just fine but it get this code. Before the swap I had a code P0706 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Range/Performance. I did not use the same sensor from the bad trans I just used the one that came on the replacement.

What should I look for? I have cleared the codes and she will be driving to work with it tonight. I will see if it comes back up. Or should she not drive it until I get it figured out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First check the plug for contact/cleanliness. All Pins on the sensor side of the plug and on the tranny side? Clean? Good condition?
The sensor may just need to be adjusted (if your lucky) or it might be junk. Do your reverse lights work? If not, adjust sensor. To adjust it:

#1 Set your e-brake, raise truck onto jackstands
#2 Tranny in reverse (obviously truck not running, wheels chocked..blah blah blah)
#3 Get underneath the truck, loosen the bolts to the Range sensor (near the gear selector cable)
#4 Move loosened sensor around until you get the reverse lights to light up
#5 Tighten mounting bolts to sensor

That should do it, but if the sensor is bad? Still have your old tranny to steal the other one?

To replace the sensor:
#1 Tranny in neutral (all safety precautions taken not to get crushed/killed before this)
#2 Remove the shift cable from the shift lever and bracket
#3 Mark the position of the shift lever to splined shaft
#4 Remove the nut on shift lever, remove lever
#5 Disconnect the Range sensor plug
#6 Remove bolts to sensor, remove sensor
#7 Line up the flats in the shaft and on the sensor, install sensor
#8 Install bolts finger tight (sensor to tranny)
#9 follow above procedure to adjust sensor
#10 put it all back together again

Anyone think different, feel free to add to this thread

Good luck
Happy New year

(I'm not a mechanic nor do I play one online, your results may vary, no warranties expressed or implied, safety first)

Yes I did clear the codes from the old trans. No, the only sensor i have now is from the old trans.

I will check everything from the first reply tomorrow. I did figure on checking the connection but didn't have time today. And it sure is cold out now. 9* right now.

Thanks for the help. I hate throwing parts at a problem so I will check everything mentioned.

After driving the truck again, the codes came back and now there is one more.
P0708 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit High Input

I haven't had a chance to get under there yet to take a look see, it is 0* outside right now. I will have to move some vehicles around and get it in the garage. But I did check to see if the reverse lights were working and yes they are. So my next thing will be to check the connector and and try the other sensor.

But damn its cold right now.

Ok so hopefully it was just that I didn't have the connector all the way snapped on. Not sure if that was it but it sure seemed to pull of easily the first time. After reconnecting it I could get it off as easily the second time. I took it for a drive down the interstate and got no codes so I'm hoping that was it.

Thanks for the update! A little dirt or a loose connnection on the range sensor could cause problems. It's possible that the contacts might have some corrosion. Apply tune up grease or a similar anti-oxidant type of gel on the inside of the connector after you use electrical contact cleaner.

could this problem code ever be related to a bad transmission if that is the only code? i just picked up a 1999 Merc Mountaineer and the truck rides and drives with no problem but i also only drove it 5 miles from the pick up location to my home. can you give me any tips or things to look for? i appreciate whatever advise you can give me. If this is a major problem or could be linked to a major problem "I WILL BE TAKING IT BACK!!!" no money exchange and give him his keys back!

Hello,
I have 99 explorer and question is this, can Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction affect the 4WD, because 4WD is not working, but other gears working well including reverse lights. Sorry for my bad english :)

I had P0452 on 2000 ford ranger. replaced the neutral safety switch but still couldn't get rid of the code. The fix was that I had to readjust the cable length going to the shift lever. That solved it.

I put in a transfer case and this immediately popped up.. could the transfer case motor switch have something to do with this..what could possibly have caused this..seems to run fine.The CEL actually went off for a little bit....

Back