P0731 after replacing valve body sleeve (Issue Solved) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

  • Register Today It's free!

P0731 after replacing valve body sleeve (Issue Solved)

jseen

Member
Joined
May 3, 2022
Messages
24
Reaction score
18
City, State
Norman
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Limited
I just replaced the valve body sleeve (also called the bulkhead connector sleeve).

Everything seemed to go just fine. Truck started. However, it will not go into gear and move.

It is now throwing a p0731 code (gear 1 ratio incorrect). I'm assuming that I do not have the sleeve pushed in all the way in.

Anyone have any experience with this?
 






Thought I would give an update.
No real issue with the transmission. One of the wires on the TCM connector pulled out of the terminal. Rigging up a wire to connect to the terminal temporarily fixed it.
Will be fixing all of the wires now as some look like they have seen better days.

Will post an update with pictures of the issue and repair once the parts come in.
 






I just replaced the valve body sleeve (also called the bulkhead connector sleeve).

Everything seemed to go just fine. Truck started. However, it will not go into gear and move.

It is now throwing a p0731 code (gear 1 ratio incorrect). I'm assuming that I do not have the sleeve pushed in all the way in.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Alright here is the story.
While replacing the valve body sleeve, I must have placed too much tension on one of the wires (white with blue stripe) which disconnected and was causing the p0731 code.
20231218_173241.jpg

Once identifying the disconnected wire, I was able to verify by shoving a 16 awg wire into the connector. Buying the connector by itself would have been ~$30-$50. Since it was one wire I figured I could fix it. I then ordered this set to get the terminal out and fix it (the set is junk, but I was able to use it). However, the wire broke off deep enough I could not get it.

So I found a mercury mountaineer at pick-n-pull and cut off the connector. Then wrote down all of the wires and where they go. Pulled all of the wires out of the new one. Attached the matching wire to the broken one using a crimp connector and heat shrink.
20231226_172823.jpg

I added heat shrink to the wires where they appeared to be showing wear. Then put friction tape around it all. Works perfectly.

Hope this helps someone one day.
 






Back
Top