• Register Today It's free!

P0732 Gear 2 incorrect ratio

mn12

Reaction score
City, State
WPB, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Hi guys long time reader with my 01 EX now I also have a 03 Aviator AWD. Last night I noticed shifts were a little delayed 2-3 and I got a p0732 error code. From reading on here it I'm guessing the servo bore issue but is the solenoid pack also a possibility? Just trying to figure out how to approach this without throwing parts at it

Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys long time reader with my 01 EX now I also have a 03 Aviator AWD. Last night I noticed shifts were a little delayed 2-3 and I got a p0732 error code. From reading on here it I'm guessing the servo bore issue but is the solenoid pack also a possibility? Just trying to figure out how to approach this without throwing parts at it

Thanks guys

Which vehicle are we talking about? '01 or '03? Which transmission? P0732 is a rather vague code when standing alone (Output Shaft Speed Sensor Intermittent). Crapshoot without more info. Servo failure usually results in NO SHIFT, you seem to have shift completion, but slow? Any speed-up of eng. during shift? Tach. should simply drop as shift occurs. imp

This is on the 03 Aviator 5R55S trans. Shift completes but RPM's seem to hang and then the shift bangs. The heavier you are on the throttle the worse it is and seems more common once up to temperature.

bump to the top.

I went ahead and ordered the servos with orings and will pop those out to see what kind of shape they are in. At 112,000 my assumption is that they are the likely culprit but we will see. Is there any harm in installing the updated servos either way?

Almost certainly the servos. You should stop driving or you risk snapping the band. BTW, I don't think you can get the servos out of the Aviator without dropping front crossover pipe. I've heard good and bad about the oring repair. At best it's a short/mid term repair. Only real way to fix it is to install the bronze sleeves but that requires total overhaul.

For the benefit of anyone who may search this in the future on the Aviator you DO NOT have to drop the cross pipe all I did was remove the heat shields to gain access. I actually found the pipe to be an advantage because the CAT provided a good surface to wedge my prybar against when depressing the servo covers

Back