• Register Today It's free!

P1812 Code

Ricky_Bobby

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Explorer
Has anyone came across this code and found a fix? I was not able to find much on this forum for this specific code: P1812. I ran a Snap On scanner and this is what I am getting. I cleared the code and going to give a little time to see if it comes back up. How I got to this point is, I have something rubbing that I can feel/hear at lower speeds. turning doesn't change the volume or feel of the "rubbing." The noise/feeling is while the vehicle is in drive and neutral while rolling. I do need to do a full rear brake replacement which could be causing the noise. I am just curious, before I dish out the money for breaks, how big of a problem(s) I could be facing with this code since I have the annual inspection coming up next month. I take good care of the vehicle but I know the value is not much over $1K so I am trying to determine how much I want to keep putting into it before handing it off.

I just did front breaks in January, then last month, spark plugs and wires, water pump, and sway bar link ends. I am currently at 184K miles and replaced the transmission around 154K miles about 2.5 years ago. I also had the front end replaced, control arms, tie rods, etc.. about 3.5 years ago too.

From what I was able to find by googling the code, it seems to be related to the 4wd control switch. This seems to be consistent with how the vehicle acts at times. While driving at highway speeds, if I am on the gas and hit certain bumps the vehicle begins to shift, accelerate more difficult. I have been trying to narrow this down for 2 years now and seemed to think it was electrical related. I am thinking the wire may be shorting some where or the actuator motor may have bad connections. If I coast of the bump with my foot off the gas, I do not get these same issues.

I appreciate any and all advice. This is one of my first posts since I am usually able to find such useful info on here I never had to ask any further questions. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did read through that but there is not a ton of info there. Their recommendation sounds like replace the TFT sensor. Do you think that would cause the vehicle to act up when on the gas and going over bumps? I can run the vehicle fine for hours if I keep off the gas when going over bumps.

did you check the fluid level in the trany did it smell burnt or look really dark ?

Not in the past two years. I have never checked the tranny fluid myself on this vehicle. I know it is a closed system with no dipstick or easy fill. Any suggestions?

it's not the hard to do but got to be done under the vehicle. there's several threads cover this topic here and here's helpful video that does go into detail how to check fluid level in these fords closed systems

Thank you. I need to get the nipple or the pipe fitting others have posted about to check out the fluid this weekend.

If it is burnt, are you recommending then change the TFT sensor? If not burnt, then what would you suggest?

if the fluid is burnt or smells bad, believe me you'll notice the smell if bad but besure to check with engine at operating temp, I would drop the pan and replace the filter and fluid, that's what i would do. i use a standard 1/8 npt air fitting then slip hose over the nipple end of fitting allot cheaper then the one you buy at an auto store. also invest in a qt bottle or siphon pump.

Back