P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

Here is my writeup for doing a Bi-Xenon HID Projector Retrofit for 96-01 Explorers, and HID Fog Light conversion for 99-01 Explorers.

Parts:

Clear Housings
E46 Bi-Xenon Projectors
3" Projector Shrouds
D2S HID Kit @ 5000k (Now 4300k)
H1 HID Kit @ 5000k (Now 4300k)
High Beam Controllers
3 Relays (30amp)
2 Diodes (3amp)
Fuse block (or inline)

To start you need to open up the headlight housings
First remove all the mounts from the housing
IMG_0042.jpg

Then put the light on a baking tray with tinfoil in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. put the headlight in the oven and wait about 5-10 min, CONSTANTLY MONITOR IT and make sure it doesn't get soft.
IMG_0045.jpg

Now its time to modify the housing to fit the protector
IMG_0050.jpg

Cut out all the plastic from the inside of the circle. I found that the barrel sander Dremel attachment worked the best.
IMG_0051.jpg

Now cut along the bottom to make room for the projector solenoid
IMG_0054.jpg

The Projectors (Note: They are upside down)
IMG_0048-1.jpg

Fit the projector into the housing
IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057-1.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Now onto the High Beams, I didn't have the actual wires, so I desoldered the connection off the board and soldered on my own leads.
IMG_0059.jpg

Mark and Drill the holes to mount the Projectors
IMG_0062.jpg

I used some of my old LEGOS as spacers, and used Plexiglase to seal the light back up. (NOTE: Cut the excess screw off it will interfere with installation later.
IMG_0089-1.jpg

Done (No shrouds at the moment)
IMG_0068.jpg

Now This isnt necessary but its a nice touch. I put 3 LEDs in to come on when the mirror lights come on. When you click unlock on the key fob these come on and do give off quite a bit of light. Cover with silicone.
IMG_0113.jpg

These are the LEDs not the HIDs
IMG_0116.jpg

Pax side Ballast locations
IMG_0084copy.jpg

Driver side Ballast locations
IMG_0085copy.jpg

HIDs vs Friends Subaruaruaru Stock Halogen
Lights-1.jpg

Fogs

The only major modification needed to do the fog conversion is to modify the bulb socket. Cut out the center of the ring and thats all. Sorry about the piss poor pic but all I had was my cell phone camera.
0229081730a.jpg

Seal up the socket with some silicone and splice into the pigtail wire that goes from the chassis to the bulb, and connect that with the power in lead of the HID ballast.
IMG_0088dcopy.jpg

Close up of Pax side Fog Ballast
IMG_0083.jpg

Done, Getting ready to go Skiing behind the Explorer :)
IMG_0075s.jpg

NOTE: The all Ford fleet.:thumbsup:

Wiringdaigram.jpg

Good Luck

EDIT: Daytime Pictures and Pics with shrouds installed on post 27
EDIT: Cutoff Pictures added on post 109

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its impossible to show what something looks like at night through a picture, so I took 2. The first picture shows what the lights look like (detail). The second shows the actual light output. Put them together in your head to visualize how it looks in person.
IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

And one with the marker lights

IMG_0140.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Better, more even light output, perfect cutoff for low beams, doesn't blind oncoming drivers, legal.

do you know, since you have worked with them, if you could add projectirs to this kit? anyone seen anything with halo's?

do you know, since you have worked with them, if you could add projectirs to this kit? anyone seen anything with halo's?

No projectors only use single beam hids because they use a shutter for the high beams. Usually they are D2S bulbs. there really isnt any room in the housing for halos

i've got 1 more, probably stupid, question. i have never seen a projector outside of a car in my life so i don't know but, couldn't you just install a 2 way (bi-whatever they are called) into the projector and eliminate the shudder? only ask because i love the look but that's a tall dime to get it.

has anyone ever used these products before? any feedback on the quality and ease of install.

http://www.vvme.com/product/detail-20022.html

If you use a bi xenon kit with a projector, the focal point of the bulbs will be different then they would be on a single beam setup, and the light pattern will be worse.

If you use a bi xenon kit with a projector, the focal point of the bulbs will be different then they would be on a single beam setup, and the light pattern will be worse.

so one or the other and don't try to mix 'em up. got it!

Yep, Use a single beam kit with a projector, and a bi-xenon kit for High and Low beams in the stock headlight housing.

i want to revise a thread that i am sure no one has looked at for awhile, and should. i just finished making my projectors from this thread, it has made a huge difference! with ryans help and about a million emails later they are finished. i already had a hid kit in my truck, as well as euro chrome lights. i used the same controllers as ryan did (i had a problem with one of them, i was sending 12 volts to the solenoids at all times) and the seller sent out a replacement at no cost! i was also able to find a set of BMW E46 projectors on ebay, but they came with range rover shrouds (which i had to cut down.....lots) for about $125 shipped from the us to canada from this seller factory_xenon (that is us dollars btw). i got a set of 6000k hid D2S bulbs shipped as well. the difference is that i used stock housings, and the euro lens to make mine up (i had to cut the lip on the lens to fit the housings, but that was no big deal). as i mentioned earlier, this made a major difference in my lighting output. before with the old set up, the lights would pencil beam about 2 or 3 cars in front of me, and very little light would go out to the sides. not to mention the people that i would blind. now, the lights shine from the edge of my hood, and about 10-15 cars in front of me. if i am on the far right side of a highway, i can light up 4 lanes without blinding anyone, and that is with the low beams. they are so good that when i was testing them, i had a coworker of mine about 3 cars in front of me, he turned off his lights, and was able to see the road without any problems. i cant realy put a time frame on this because i did a little bit here, and there. as well as i was stuck waiting about a week for a replacement controller. this is how mine turned out.

b3pkli.jpg

20ustad.jpg

15d0tg2.jpg

4uf1hv.jpg

20tosxg.jpg

2e3qxkm.jpg

2corako.jpg

298n10.jpg

2qcnq78.jpg

121sykg.jpg

1ibdwk.jpg

this is with low beams. to the right is a long brick wall, to the left is a cliff to a river bank

20korqu.jpg

this is with high beams

s1n4ht.jpg

and this is with high beams, and my 8000k hid fog or if you want to be politically correct, "driving lights"

11v4qit.jpg

after seeing this thread, i wished i would have done this a long time ago. the only problem is now, when i go to jump into my little 90 ranger, i will not be able to see the road! thanks for all your help ryan, couldn't, and wouldn't have been able to do it without you!

oh, by the way, mod's or even better, RICK, how bout setting ryan up with some free elite status!!! after all, all the hits on his LED how to's deserves something, right?!

I am looking at doing this in the near future most likely September or October. But my question is why would you need to put the new housing in the oven? I am sure its needed but not seeing the why.

I am looking at doing this in the near future most likely September or October. But my question is why would you need to put the new housing in the oven? I am sure its needed but not seeing the why.

The oven heats up the glue that bonds the lens to the housing. That is how you separate them.

The oven heats up the glue that bonds the lens to the housing. That is how you separate them.

Ok so after you take off all the mounts the lens is still in there, and heating it up makes it so you can take that out. That makes total sense now, in you first photo the left housing looks like its set to get the new lens put in but upon looking at it closer the lens is still there but the rest of the mounts are taken off.

Thanks for the clarification.

if you look at the first picture i posted, the ones on the left i have the projectors in them, but no lens, and the one on the right has the lens that i used, but they are still in the head light housing. i used the aftermarket lens, in a stock housing. i had to modify the lens a little, but in the end it worked, and well.

hey where can i get those clear housings???

for some one that has never done this sort of mode about how much time in hours would you say this would take? I wanna do it but looks like quite the under taking. Which go figure i work on computers all day for my "real" job and working on headlights freak me out.

for some one that has never done this sort of mode about how much time in hours would you say this would take? I wanna do it but looks like quite the under taking. Which go figure i work on computers all day for my "real" job and working on headlights freak me out.

trust me, i have never done this before either. i was a body man for a living, and do have fabrication skills. this one did scar me at first, but once i started on it, it wasn't that bad at all. that and ryan helped out with a tone of emails, and pms. i would have to say, in total, i spent about 3 days or so. but in reality, i spent about 2 weeks (i did this in my shed when it was pretty cold outside, that and i had to wait for another controller to come) picking at it a couple of hours here and there.

Back