• Register Today It's free!

PA 3" Body Lift Installation

datacore

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Im interested in giving my explorer about a 4-5 inch lift to fit some 33's in there. Im going to get 1.5 out of a TT and Shackles and then i was planning to put in the PA 3" 98-00 Ranger lift. I was definately going to install the shackles and do the TT myself but I was wondering whether or not it is worth it to install the body lift myself. It seems complicated but if it isnt too hard I would rather install it myself. Also, about how much would it cost to get it installed at a garage/4x4 store?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a bl isnt complicated.... but it is time consuming.... and stores around here charge $85 an hour for labor......

Chances are, you won't even be able to find a shop willing to lift it anyways. It's not too hard, so just do it yourself.

Like James said, it's time consuming. If you were able to find a shop they'd probably rape you on the labor charge.

I am doing that BL right now, make sure you have a good metric socket set 8mm- 20 or 22 i think I used. i put my bigger tires on first, (33") and drove it up on some wide boards about 1" tall to get some more room to move underneath. It is not complicated in that the they give you all the directions you need but I am on step 18 of 42 or 43 and I have spent about 10-11 hours on in with my father. THe body mounts took about 3 hours to get the bolts out. had to run to my uncles to get some other stuff after we tired lots of stuff that didnt work. THe damn stock stuff kept spinning and we couldnt get the bolts out. They were in there so tough that my impact wrench couldnt get it out until we got it pretty loose. Anyway i think we are good to go now. Just make sure you got everyything before you start. Long wrenches for better leverage or a pipe to put over it. short somes for getting into small places.
Two more things.
One get some rustoleum (spray paint rust preventative). It is awesome, I sprayed everything, back of bumpers, spare wheel, mounts frame, whatever needed to be protected. I did everything in the wheel wells and got some high heat stuff for the calipers and anything else that needs it. Just wire brush some surface rust and wipe off.
two and this is very IMPORTANT (potentially) i read about the ranger steering extension not working well for explorers and lots of problems with that. Whats the word on that, I dont want to mess up my pretty X. Heard it is very very costly to fix. Any tips and/or whatever is very appreciated'
Gary

Neither of my extensions have ever given me problems. I did have to drill out the slot for the key on the shaft a little deeper though. (not sure if that applies on your '98) Just do not hit the extension on to the shaft with a hammer or anything, there are plastic pins in the steering shaft design to break on impact that can break if you hit the shaft with a hammer.

Back