• Register Today It's free!

pa emission with aftermarket cat?

sofastnj

Reaction score
City, State
nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
ok i have a 99 4.0sohc, and im goin to be gettin a custom exhaust made up this weekend, i want to get a high flow magnaflow cat. But will i pass Pennsylvannias emissions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My f150 passed with a magnaflow cat here in washington with no issues. Not sure about PA's laws but I think WA adopted California laws so you should have no problems. But don't quote me on that. :cool:

You will need two cats for the 4.0 sohc, a right and a left. If your milage is up there it wouldn't hurt to put in a couple of new O2 sensors as well.

I found the Magnaflow cats for $158 a piece on Carjunky.

You should have no problem passing emissions.

Lazzman said:
You will need two cats for the 4.0 sohc, a right and a left. If your milage is up there it wouldn't hurt to put in a couple of new O2 sensors as well.

I found the Magnaflow cats for $158 a piece on Carjunky.

You should have no problem passing emissions.

Magna high flo cats go for around $55 a pop on ebay

You should have no probs

and I believe SOHC has 4 cats total, 2 pre cats then 2 after? I know looking under my engine I remember seeing 4 cats, and replacing 4 O2's

pa emmisions

I am a pa emmisions inspector 1st of all it depends what county you live in and how many miles since it was last inspected

Negative, 4.0 Sohc Explorers have a right and a left cat. :bounce: I do not know of any cars that have four cats, I remember when cars only needed one cat. You must have been looking at something else.

$55 on Ebay I would like to see that. I am talking about the direct bolt on ones, not the universal. My local Magnaflow dealer had them for $275 each plus labor, we both thought the carjunky price of $155 a piece was good.

An Explorer V6 SOHC has four Oxygen sensors, two heated and two regular. The regulars are downstreem from the cats.

The cats are made to the sames specs as stock so you should have no problem passing with them.

To check to see what emissions test your vehicle will need, follow this link In my area, which has the hardest standards, i only require a gas cap check and OBDII scan, but no tailpipe test.
Dan

Lazzman said:
Negative, 4.0 Sohc Explorers have a right and a left cat. :bounce: I do not know of any cars that have four cats, I remember when cars only needed one cat. You must have been looking at something else.

$55 on Ebay I would like to see that. I am talking about the direct bolt on ones, not the universal. My local Magnaflow dealer had them for $275 each plus labor, we both thought the carjunky price of $155 a piece was good.

An Explorer V6 SOHC has four Oxygen sensors, two heated and two regular. The regulars are downstreem from the cats.

The cats are made to the sames specs as stock so you should have no problem passing with them.

I could have sworn I saw 4 cats. Two close to the engine and 2 farther down the pipes...I could be wrong tho. I havent looked under there since my last truck when I did my ball joints and plugs. I do know there is 4 o2's because I remember spending a fortune on sensors.

The universal cat is 55$ shipped on ebay. Why buy direct bolt on when you can just do universal for much cheaper? I guess if you cannot weld or know someone who will weld these up cheap, direct bolt on is worth it.

Just random thought, at what milage do you need to change the cats? Im right around 72k?

Not on a 1998 V6 Sohc. I have had mine up on the lift lots of times and I practically live under it on my creeper.

Two catalytic converters as I stated earlier, a right and a left. Maybe the 5.0 has four cats but not the V6. Unless of course mine is a special one??

Back