blueka

Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
I'm about to put the rear bumper on and the brackets are way off. I've read up on the bracket mod, have the plans etc.... but.....

this link says that you have to cut notches in the bumper to get it to fit, after you drilled holes all over the place and added some welds...

I was thinking about turning the kit brackets upside down, after removing the factory tow hook and seeing if I can make them work...

Would I need to flatten them out? or could I use the slightly bent brackets? the holes will need to be modified tho, as they're way off.

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you post pics of the REAR brackets you are using? The rears I have used are all flat, and rectangle in shape with 4 bolt holes on angles. Looks like a pair of dice stacked on each other, each showing a "2".

The 883 brackets are kinda funky.. I heated mine and beat the snot out of them, but even with them flat, I still couldn't use them. The rear bumper will still need a notch in it if my measurements were correct.

If you can't get your rear bumper on right, I'll take a few pics of mine tomorrow during the day to show you how I did it. But I notched/welded on my frame, not sure if that's the direction you want to go in or not though :dunno:

I think the answer may have presented itself when I was taking pictures.

I am unable to weld to the frame as it's against the law in Saskatchewan to have stuff welded to the frame, it can only be bolted or riveted, so that's the route I've gotta take.

140620111446.jpg

140620111447.jpg

I'll check it again tomorrow when I'm less frustrated, and less tired, I'm still moving house and trying to get this done at the same time... it's driving me nuts as I don't feel much progress is being made on anything... thanks guys

Si

Sorry Si, the brackets I have used look nothing like those :(

Flat brackets are a straight bolt on with no mods. Must have been a different kit number on the ones I used on the 94 & 95.

Edit: PA 853 is what was used on the 95. I found a picture of when it was installed. This pic shows the bumper bracket it came with that was used for the rear bumper. (attached on front frame horn for pic purpose). I used this same style bracket for the 94 as well on the rear. I do recall that the 853 came with a set of bent brackets now. But they looked like this one with a bend. We didnt use them. We made a set for the front using the template found on EF.

fronyblpucksinstalled.jpg

well, I got it done! the BL is finished!.. I've been awake all night.. finally got up at 5am, watched monster jam, then hit the shop at 6am.

I used a drill press and a BFH to get it done, the bumper's on, not totally straight, but it'll do...

Si

Back