Pacer Tailgate LED Light Installation - Does '07 X have constant power wire at rear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pacer Tailgate LED Light Installation - Does '07 X have constant power wire at rear?

Hi,

I recently purchased a Pacer Outback F5 LED light for my '07 X. I thought the LED lightbar would plug right into the 4 way tow wiring harness. However, in addition to the 4 way plug, this Pacer model needs a connection to the reverse light, and a 12 V power connection. I know I can pull the reverse light connection from the 7 way connector on my tow hitch, but is there constant power somewhere at the rear of the truck I can pull from?

Thanks for the help.
JDC

Since you have the 7-pin trailer connector, I believe that you get a constant 12v on one of the wires, that would be used to supply the trailer with power for interior lights or the like. Setting your truck key-on, engine-off, you should be able to get under there and within a few minutes, test the wires to find the one that provides constant 12v.

Since you have the 7-pin trailer connector, I believe that you get a constant 12v on one of the wires, that would be used to supply the trailer with power for interior lights or the like. Setting your truck key-on, engine-off, you should be able to get under there and within a few minutes, test the wires to find the one that provides constant 12v.

Ah HA! Boy do I feel dumb. I spent about a half hour today with my Fluke looking at the tow connectors and various cables, testing to see if I had a constant. I was about to reply to your post:

"Checked out all the pins earlier today: LH Stop/Turn, RH Stop/Turn, Backup Light, Running Light, Electric Brake, Ground. There's even a wiring diagram on the plug cover. Couldn't get a steady 12V..."

Then I realized, 'wait a second, that's 6 pins...' Just ran out to my truck, and sure enough there's a small "+" on the wiring diagram that I didn't notice. Just checked it, and sure enough, got steady 12V.

Thanks for the help! :salute:

JDC

Back