Paddle shift 2019 steering wheels

MN_SCRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Background:
Over in the 5G Ranger forum, ( 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com ) a number of owners would like paddle shifters on the steering wheel, which is not offered on the Ranger.
I had a loaner Explorer Platinum for a week while work was being done on my Ranger and I did enjoy playing with the paddle shift on occasion.
So when the topic came up in the Ranger forum, it occurred to me that a good place to start was with the Explorer wheel. Hopefully a limited amount of effort would be require to make the swap work.

Starting my research here in the Explorer forum seem like a good place.

The unknowns:
1. the pin-out of the Explorer steering wheel harness VS the Rangers that runs down the column.
Obviously, they will be close but what each pin position is for could be different. Hoping some has the diagram manual who would be willing to check.
Also, any additional wires would have to be run down the steering column.
There are 2 connectors... one appears to be a 16 pin; the other, almost a USB looking connector. (can't figure out how to post a picture of them)

2. Are steering wheels coded to a specific vehicle these days and specifically the Fords??
My other cars are older and are not so coded. Swapping is easy.

These are to two biggest issue to know before attempting this.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have the info you are looking for but paddle shifters on the 5th gen Explorer started with the 2013 model. Just FYI.

Peter

I don't have the info you are looking for but paddle shifters on the 5th gen Explorer started with the 2013 model. Just FYI.

Peter
Peter... thanks... I ask for a 2019 Explorer just figuring that the airbag and wiring would be a near match to the 2019 Ranger. Path of least resistance, hopefully.

I just looked around at the wiring diagrams and there's quite a few differences between the two models. As a Ford technician I'm very picky about air bag systems, not worth it IMHO to put some ones life at risk over wanting paddle shifters.

I just looked around at the wiring diagrams and there's quite a few differences between the two models. As a Ford technician I'm very picky about air bag systems, not worth it IMHO to put some ones life at risk over wanting paddle shifters.
I don't disagree... why I wanted to get this kind of info up front before investing a lot of effort that results in a high risk to the airbag system.

Appreciate the info. Thanks.

PS: As the steering wheels look the same (mostly) so swapping the internals of a Ranger wheel (so the pining matches the column's and thus the airbag) wondering if adding just the extra line(s) for the paddles would be viable (low enough risak)?

Actually I doubt it will it's not as simple as some people might think. The paddle shifters send a signal to the steering column control module and in turn that module sends it to the PCM since the Ranger isn't equipped with paddle shifters it's very doubtful that the SCCM or the PCM will support the paddle shifters.

How will/did you verify that the ECM/transmission will support this?
The Lariat model (and perhaps others) have a 10 speed transmission with sport shifter, which is essentially the paddle shift, only from the stick in the center console. The theory being, the paddles would send the same signal as the sport shifter, and only when sport mode is activated buy the switch on the console stick.

Actually I doubt it will it's not as simple as some people might think. The paddle shifters send a signal to the steering column control module and in turn that module sends it to the PCM since the Ranger isn't equipped with paddle shifters it's very doubtful that the SCCM or the PCM will support the paddle shifters.

Again, on the Lariat model, it has all the same bells and whistles as the Explorer except, as far as I can tell, paddle shifters and heated wheel. Given this, the hope is there is a SCCM and would be able play nicely with the Ranger systems. There may need to be some FORScan intervention to get things working in this regard... time will tell.

I am no expert by any means, but I would find it odd (inefficient at the least) if Ford would make two steering columns THAT much different given they are such close cousins... of course the engineering departments could be working in silos...

Anyway, I am realistic enough the in the end, the probability of success with is is small, but worth some effort to determine if it's offical or not.

This is likely the roadblock...and a difficult one to overcome.

Again, on the Lariat model, it has all the same bells and whistles as the Explorer except, as far as I can tell, paddle shifters and heated wheel. Given this, the hope is there is a SCCM and would be able play nicely with the Ranger systems. There may need to be some FORScan intervention to get things working in this regard... time will tell.

I am no expert by any means, but I would find it odd (inefficient at the least) if Ford would make two steering columns THAT much different given they are such close cousins... of course the engineering departments could be working in silos...

Anyway, I am realistic enough the in the end, the probability of success with is is small, but worth some effort to determine if it's offical or not.
You seem adamant that the secret lies solely in the steering column..... before you go spending money on parts you should validate that your current transmission and controls will support this. You are incorrect thinking that Ford installs all options across all platforms of different models then just turns things on and off. My ‘17 Fusion has sport mode and paddle shifters, that doesn’t mean I can just drop that column in a ‘17 Focus and get the same performance and options. The Ranger and Explorer are not the same platforms.

Good luck, I’ll be staying subscribed to see how this goes

Folks here with knowledge saying not worth it. They have brought good ideas to the table. Curious on why you want them? I have auto stick in my sienna and its not worth it. Great to irritate my wife.....

I
Folks here with knowledge saying not worth it. They have brought good ideas to the table. Curious on why you want them? I have auto stick in my sienna and its not worth it. Great to irritate my wife.....
Been working for Ford dealerships since 1988 and I pretty much expect the odd and inefficient to happen on a daily basis.

You seem adamant that the secret lies solely in the steering column..... before you go spending money on parts you should validate that your current transmission and controls will support this. You are incorrect thinking that Ford installs all options across all platforms of different models then just turns things on and off. My ‘17 Fusion has sport mode and paddle shifters, that doesn’t mean I can just drop that column in a ‘17 Focus and get the same performance and options. The Ranger and Explorer are not the same platforms.

Good luck, I’ll be staying subscribed to see how this goes
I'm only adamant that THE key issue is getting a signal from the paddles to "somewhere" (I think down to the or a a control box that leads from the console stick which already does the same as the paddles) seems to me to require some kind of line down the column that is currently not there. Else the paddles are "module" (with a unique module ID) in their own right and can use CANBUS to send signals over the existing lines in which case it's all in the software. Just trying to figure out which.

Personally, this just more for fun and can it be done. My Ranger has the auto stick and I play with it occasionally, just for fun. Not being much of a off-roader, I don't know how useful in that situation... ie: being able to "lock" it in a desired gear and keep going.

As there is a group in the Ranger forum interested in it for whatever reason(s), thought I would do some research on behalf of the group given I suggested the Explorer route might be a place to start.

But your last point can't be discounted :D

Personally, this just more for fun and can it be done. My Ranger has the auto stick and I play with it occasionally, just for fun. Not being much of a off-roader, I don't know how useful in that situation... ie: being able to "lock" it in a desired gear and keep going.

As there is a group in the Ranger forum interested in it for whatever reason(s), thought I would do some research on behalf of the group given I suggested the Explorer route might be a place to start.

But your last point can't be discounted :D
Honestly its not for anything but "fun" has risks and is overly complicated. Id pass if I were you.

I hate the paddle shifters...they are horribly non-responsive, with pretty significant lag times between pressing and actual shifting (at least for the purposes I use my car for) and are utterly useless because of that. I rarely use them as they really don't even serve a purpose. I feel that any car without a dual-clutch (true instant paddle shifting) never really fully benefits from paddle sifters. It's all a sales gimmick by car manufacturers to make you feel like you've got a car that is more "sporty" than it actually is. Yes, some cars may be a bit more responsive than others, but as mentioned, unless the transmission has a dual-clutch...it will never have that "instant" engagement that is indicative of true paddle-shifting.

But I'm all for finding cool new things to do to cars (even if they are useless), so in that regard, I'm 100% supportive. If you figure it out, let us know.

Background:
Over in the 5G Ranger forum, ( 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com ) a number of owners would like paddle shifters on the steering wheel, which is not offered on the Ranger.
I had a loaner Explorer Platinum for a week while work was being done on my Ranger and I did enjoy playing with the paddle shift on occasion.
So when the topic came up in the Ranger forum, it occurred to me that a good place to start was with the Explorer wheel. Hopefully a limited amount of effort would be require to make the swap work.

The unknowns:
1. the pin-out of the Explorer steering wheel harness VS the Rangers that runs down the column.
Obviously, they will be close but what each pin position is for could be different. Hoping some has the diagram manual who would be willing to check.
There are 2 connectors... one appears to be a 16 pin; the other, almost a USB looking connector. (can't figure out how to post a picture of them)

2. Are steering wheels coded to a specific vehicle these days and specifically the Fords??

After reading this, all I can say is try it, be a pioneer. Jump over to the f150 forums, search raptor wheel conversion, it has been done on many occasions, I had raptor wheels in my ‘15 lariat, and in my ‘13 FX4, you will have to add wiring for the paddles to work, and possibly add a jumper for the trans controller. Basically, if you can shift wit +&- on the shifter, you can add paddles, been there, done it twice.

Sidenote, I have a ‘18 raptor, I don’t even use the paddles, they look cool though.

And yes, a lot of stuff is the same across all the lines, much like the “world byte map” in the sync 3 radios.

After reading this, all I can say is try it, be a pioneer. Jump over to the f150 forums, search raptor wheel conversion, it has been done on many occasions, I had raptor wheels in my ‘15 lariat, and in my ‘13 FX4, you will have to add wiring for the paddles to work, and possibly add a jumper for the trans controller. Basically, if you can shift wit +&- on the shifter, you can add paddles, been there, done it twice.

Sidenote, I have a ‘18 raptor, I don’t even use the paddles, they look cool though.

And yes, a lot of stuff is the same across all the lines, much like the “world byte map” in the sync 3 radios.
Huge difference....going from one version of the F150 to another version of the F150 vs going from one platform to another, even within the same manufacturer.

About a year ago, I had entertained the idea of using the Raptor wheel into the Explorer based on seeing what the f150 folks where doing with the mods you referenced and found that...even though I have paddle shifters ,etc...there is some functionality that would've been lost as well as canbus signals being different between the platforms. The juice just wasn't worth the squeeze for me...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Background:

The unknowns:

7e1f23a10053cf90571c12833c7d6f3c00.jpg
Look Closer: Shouldn't Have Taken This Wedding Pic
wordsa.com​
Huge difference....going from one version of the F150 to another version of the F150 vs going from one platform to another, even within the same manufacturer.

About a year ago, I had entertained the idea of using the Raptor wheel into the Explorer based on seeing what the f150 folks where doing with the mods you referenced and found that...even though I have paddle shifters ,etc...there is some functionality that would've been lost as well as canbus signals being different between the platforms. The juice just wasn't worth the squeeze for me...
Actually the ‘17 wheel on a ‘13 required a lot of remanufacturing of the harness going into the clock spring, adding additional wiring to get the paddles to work and some hex editing of various modules.

Plug and play, no, but if it was easy, everyone would do it.

I’ll be the first to say, I am a mod-o-Holic, I love adding oe updates to stripped cars or enhancing optioned ones, I can’t leave stuff as is.

Perusing this forum, it doesn’t seemed to be frequented by people who like to roll the dice on mods, or really do mods, and that’s ok, I’ll still do my own thing.

Back