paint bumpers and fender flares or powdercoat rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

paint bumpers and fender flares or powdercoat rims?

what to get?

• powdercoated rims

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • paint trim white, and nerf bars black

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • dont do anything esthetic, do some interior/audio/visual stuff, or other (suggest below)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • dont do anything to the X, get some other crap

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
its getting close to the holidays once again, and im thinking i might wanna do some aesthetic stuff to the X (well, have others pay for aesthetic stuff on the X ;) ) heres what im thinking:

1) powdercoat my rims gunmetal gray. i think it would look really cool and kinda match my gray fender flares, side skirts, and bumpers.

2) paint the sideskirts, fender flares, and bumpers white to match my truck. now, the dilemma here is found with the nerf bars. i really like the nerf bars, so i dont necessarily want to take em off, but i cant get them painted white cuz theyll be ridiculously high maintenance, so i was talking to Willie Chu and he suggested that i just paint the nerf bars black. so the final product with this option would be: fender flares, side skirts, and bumpers all painted white to match the truck and the nerf bars painted black.

another thing i should mention, is that if i go with option #1, and then decide to paint all the gray trim white to match the rest of the truck at a later date, how do you think that ll look? i think itll look kinda cool, but i want some other opinions.

also, if i go with option #2, and i have so much more white paint on my truck, itll be higher maintenance, and at this point in my life, i dont have that much time to dedicate to my truck (what with living in apartments, and not having a garage close by to work in, etc.)

oh yeah, for pics of my truck, click on the link in my sig and then click on "stage 3."

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I voted to powdercoat the rims. It sounds origional and should look good.

Powdercoat the rims. I have the same color scheme as you, and painting all the trim will just make all the molding pointless. Powdercoat the rims. I'm actually going to Buy a set of aluminum rims to fit my 35s on, and have them powder coated to match my grey trim as well. I like the black rock crawler rims I have right now, BUT they are way too heavy. Dead Link Removed

thats it?! 2 responses and 1 vote? i know at least 36 of you looked here, you couldnt have at least clicked 1 more time to vote? heh. c'mon guys. ive been hanging out here long enough for everyone to know that i cant make any decision on my own :confused:

I voted for interior stuff. I don't know what the powder caoted wheels would look like.. but they don't sound like something I would go for. IMO.

Your X is already pretty tricked out. Maybe you should get the clear corners (fronts only!) now? Thats what I would do.

THE ENKEIS?

You're gonna powedercoat the enkeis? R u insane?

Originally posted by section525
I voted for interior stuff. I don't know what the powder caoted wheels would look like.. but they don't sound like something I would go for. IMO.

Your X is already pretty tricked out. Maybe you should get the clear corners (fronts only!) now? Thats what I would do.

yah, i want clear corners, but theyre only like $60, so thats nothing major.

Re: THE ENKEIS?

Originally posted by IAmTodd
You're gonna powedercoat the enkeis? R u insane?

why am i insane? :)

those r awsome wheels! ilove the look of them on ur x! if u wanna powder coat rims, i'll trade ya mine! ;)
TODD

I say do the painting. That will look very good. Also, you could paint the nerf bars white and leave the pads black.

paint the trim and bumpers and nerf bar

if you pcoat the rims.. them paint the other stuff white.. you could always go back and pcoat the rims white after. many people say you can't pcoat over itself without removing the previous coat.. that's not true.. i do it a lot.

about how much does powdercoating rims cost?

hmm.. not sure on cost. its pretty inexpensive to do. i don't know how much a place will charge though. i just run my stuff through the powdercoater here at work when i need something done. free for me. i just have to wait until they are running the color i want then i throw my stuff on the line too.

where would i have to go to find out about powdercoating? collision shop? body repair? etc?

i'd check into metal fabrication places. if they don't do it, they know who does.
check the yellow pages too.

Originally posted by jssong
about how much does powdercoating rims cost?

the wheel place that i bought my wheels from charges $60 per wheel.

also, for everyone who said to paint the nerf bars white, i would love to do that, but thats way too high maintenance for me - if i dont wash them everyday, theyll look awful after a few months.

How do u get away w/an 8 line signature?

Back