• Register Today It's free!

Paint Chips and Scratches

hbalek

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My paint seems to scratch and chip more easily than other cars I've owned. It's Rapid Red so it is noticeable in my door jam on the passenger side and also my left front fender next to the headlight. I saw a Red Limited in a parking lot near me and it also had a chip in the fender almost in the same spot as mine. Weird coincidence? So I used my FordPass points to get touch up paint. Has anyone else experienced scratches, swirls or chips in their paint? My car is less than 3 months old and I've found 3 or 4 spots so far. Other than that, that Rapid Red has an amazing vibrance and shine! When it's clean and in the sunlight it always blows me away!

Unfortunately, this is the nature of Ford’s shoddy paint and due to the fact that the EPA has forced the automotive paint industry to literally “water down” paint mixes.

You think that’s bad, hit up the Mustang M6G site I’m on and there’s a few hundred complaints from us S550 owners... and lucky for you Explorer owners you have that nice plastic edging protecting the edge of the fenders from road debris damage. On the S550’s, there’s NO barrier between the tire and edge of fenders - so imagine how bad that area gets chipped on ANY color.

The path to follow is to go to a local Detailer and have them install a good quality PPF down the sides of the vehicle and hood. That’s the only way to try to prevent Ford paint chips...

Hell, don’t even look at the vehicle, the paint will just flake.... but good thing is after 2015 the Ford Paint & Corrosion Warranty no longer requires “perforation” of the metal for any aluminum body panel replacement or repair due to corrosion and factory paint defects. This can be found in any 2016+ Ford Owner’s manual AND also introduced on Ford TSB # 19-2026.

The most horrible paint I ever seen was on our honda fit. Seemed like one coat. The sheet metal was crazy thin too. Same thing with a Tacoma we had new in 013.

Compared to my 2013 MKZ, it seems everything is thinner and cheaper including sheet metal, glass, paint, rubber, leather and plastic. I still LOVE this problem child of a badass vehicle! I grin every time I look at it in any lighting or setting. It's a beautiful machine! Also, I read on Telluride/Palisade forums that owners are complaining of the same issues believe it or not. It's the trend in the industry to cut cost and weight and be more efficient.

Back