Paint code question, picture included | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint code question, picture included

p100ki

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this color is?

You can click for a slightly bigger picture

I'm going to paint my '95 this color in the spring, i know it's a factory color because i have seen another one in this color here in town. I think it's
Portofino Metallic Clearcoat XC/M6623 but i would like to know for sure before i put out the cash the respray the thing inside and out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...look at the sticker on your door...just above the words "exterior paint color" you will see a 2 letter i.d....yours will probably say RC...:scratch:

...look at the sticker on your door...just above the words "exterior paint color" you will see a 2 letter i.d....yours will probably say RC...:scratch:

The Explorer i'm painting is a maroon type color, hence the question about what color the truck in the picture is. I thought i made that clear in my post.

...sorry, it wasn't that clear...it is difficult for one to tell you what color it is without the code information...one could only guess and pictures skew colors...;)
...good luck...:D

...sorry, it wasn't that clear...it is difficult for one to tell you what color it is without the code information...one could only guess and pictures skew colors...;)
...good luck...:D

It's a purple limited which you can tell by the lighter stripe in the bumper. That is why i was looking for the code. The Explorer limited uses one color purple, i just need the code.

I know the color is a 95-97 color as you can tell by the Explorer in the first post. It has a 95-97 rear hatch so narrowing that down there are two purplish colors listed for 97.

image1za2.jpg

Bright Sapphire Metallic Clearcoat JA/M6704
or
Portofino Metallic Clearcoat XC/M6623

...well, if it's down to a guess between the 2, portofino is a wine color as saphire is not...:dunno:
...i take it you are saying that 95 didn't offer those colors???

MOB Wheels

I'm going to paint my '95 this color in the spring, i know it's a factory color because i have seen another one in this color here in town. I think it's
Portofino Metallic Clearcoat XC/M6623 but i would like to know for sure before i put out the cash the respray the thing inside and out.

One, it looks like the vehicle either is a customer of MOB or frequents MOB. Call MOB, point out the picture, if they know who it is they can give you the color code.

Two, the paint looks faded, so the custom code color might vary. If there is another answer, if there are only two that color, maybe they are just customized... either way, it looks like you have every method of finding out that Royal purple, a Prince influenced color of vehicle, is what you see. Very fascinating color, must look very nice in person... suerte.

...good points and suggestions donner...when i first looked at the picture my thoughts were that it was the highly sought after, 73 coupe de ville, plum red...

There is definitely pearl in it, that's why it looks faded. It's almost the same as the ford taurus/thunderbird pearl which may be close enough for what i need.

Too much light in the picture...

There is definitely pearl in it, that's why it looks faded. It's almost the same as the ford taurus/thunderbird pearl which may be close enough for what i need.

It will likely be a bit darker than what you see in the photo... also, note the types of vehicles used in their shots have custom paint... And if you call, ask who the girl is in passenger seat and post pics (if they are not already here).

It will likely be a bit darker than what you see in the photo... also, note the types of vehicles used in their shots have custom paint... And if you call, ask who the girl is in passenger seat and post pics (if they are not already here).

There are two Explorers in my area with that color, one is a limited like the one in the picture. The other is a two tone Eddie Bauer. I have also seen a two tone Eddie Bauer in this purple for sale on Ebay. It is a rare color for sure, i may have to go down to my paint supplier to see if he can locate it.

Follow up?

How'd it go?

He thinks it's actually Graphite N/M Pearl Clearcoat which is code ZN. It is actually a '95 probe color but he touched up a Limited that turned out to be that color. Either way he sprayed it on a spare hood i had laying around and it is close enough for me. It isn't listed as an Explorer color but he said that happens quite a bit when it comes to Fords.

Excellent!

He thinks it's actually Graphite N/M Pearl Clearcoat which is code ZN. It is actually a '95 probe color but he touched up a Limited that turned out to be that color. Either way he sprayed it on a spare hood i had laying around and it is close enough for me. It isn't listed as an Explorer color but he said that happens quite a bit when it comes to Fords.

:thumbsup:

Back