• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Paint Corrosion TSB...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
They will do it for you for a fee.. TSBs are just service bulletins.. Its not like a warranty repair like the cruise control deactivation recal, or the 00m12 recall.

Hitchhikingmike

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Good to know, did not know the bubbling was from contamination during the manufacturing process.

1tufgt

Reaction score
City, State
Bluegrass St.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Sport Trim
How much is the fee do they usually charge?

I have a friend who works at a ford dealership body shop so it might just be cheaper to have him do it.

ExplorerXLT95

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4.0 SOHC
I have a few spots on my hood where there appears to be some sort of bubbling or other corrosion from underneath the paint.

Would this be covered by the TSB? Also, how much have people been charged for this?

EasyRhino

Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
checking in to follow this one - my 02 Explorer hood is bubbling badly at the front leading edge. For now I am just planning on putting a wind deflector on to hide it, but would love to know if Ford is still responsible for this repair.

dmagerl

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Its been awhile since I visited here but I'm glad I did and saw this thread. The entire front edge of my '04 hood has bubbled from underneath. Its not rust, just some sort of white powder. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I think I'll go ask the dealer about it the next time the car is in for maintenence.

-dickm

os1kne

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Here's what I was told by 3 different Ford dealers. If your Explorer is still under the factory warranty, they will fix it under warranty. If the warranty has expired, you must pay $400 or so for them to paint your hood.

According to one of the body shop guys, this is a very common problem and unfortunately the paint usually doesn't start to bubble until after 36k miles, so it's not usually covered by warranty.

nascar_intimid

Reaction score
City, State
st.catharines,ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 eddie ..'02 limited
convenient.....anyway, mine has also bubbled...and cracked...small little cracks that look like finger nail indentations all over the body...what a shame for a beautiful looking truck!!!!

nascar_intimid

Reaction score
City, State
st.catharines,ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 eddie ..'02 limited
3500 or better for a strip and paint I bet

mikeh

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC V6
That sucks. 5 year old truck. Paints bubbling and popping off the leading edge of the hood. I lost a spot this morning about 1 inch by 3 inches. I'm afraid if I get it fixed it will keep happening.

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
The white powder/bubbling is from the aluminum. It won't rust, just corrode- it is an aluminum hood.

fyrfyter612

Reaction score
City, State
Portage Lakes, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I just called Ford about this the other day and they basically told me tough luck. I'm so p.o. about how Ford handles this....and I worked 10 years at a Ford dealership. They told me they take count of how many times they get complaints on things so the best thing we can all do it contact Ford Customer Relations dept. and complain. They told me if they decide to offer any kind of extended coverage they will contact the last known owner of the vehicle and advise them. The body shop manager at the local Ford dealer told me he see's it all the time on Explorers and he said at his shop it around a $400 fix. So I ask all of you with the same problem.....please call Ford and complain about it..hopefully we'll have power in numbers. And if anyone gets and results please let the rest of us know.

Drewstang

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I'm going to replace my corroded passenger fender with a steel replacement. My wife bumped a sign a while back on the driver's side, and the fenders were fairly cheap at $68 each with my discount.