Paint Corrosion TSB... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint Corrosion TSB...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They will do it for you for a fee.. TSBs are just service bulletins.. Its not like a warranty repair like the cruise control deactivation recal, or the 00m12 recall.

Good to know, did not know the bubbling was from contamination during the manufacturing process.

How much is the fee do they usually charge?

I have a friend who works at a ford dealership body shop so it might just be cheaper to have him do it.

I have a few spots on my hood where there appears to be some sort of bubbling or other corrosion from underneath the paint.

Would this be covered by the TSB? Also, how much have people been charged for this?

checking in to follow this one - my 02 Explorer hood is bubbling badly at the front leading edge. For now I am just planning on putting a wind deflector on to hide it, but would love to know if Ford is still responsible for this repair.

Its been awhile since I visited here but I'm glad I did and saw this thread. The entire front edge of my '04 hood has bubbled from underneath. Its not rust, just some sort of white powder. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I think I'll go ask the dealer about it the next time the car is in for maintenence.

-dickm

Here's what I was told by 3 different Ford dealers. If your Explorer is still under the factory warranty, they will fix it under warranty. If the warranty has expired, you must pay $400 or so for them to paint your hood.

According to one of the body shop guys, this is a very common problem and unfortunately the paint usually doesn't start to bubble until after 36k miles, so it's not usually covered by warranty.

convenient.....anyway, mine has also bubbled...and cracked...small little cracks that look like finger nail indentations all over the body...what a shame for a beautiful looking truck!!!!

3500 or better for a strip and paint I bet

That sucks. 5 year old truck. Paints bubbling and popping off the leading edge of the hood. I lost a spot this morning about 1 inch by 3 inches. I'm afraid if I get it fixed it will keep happening.

The white powder/bubbling is from the aluminum. It won't rust, just corrode- it is an aluminum hood.

I just called Ford about this the other day and they basically told me tough luck. I'm so p.o. about how Ford handles this....and I worked 10 years at a Ford dealership. They told me they take count of how many times they get complaints on things so the best thing we can all do it contact Ford Customer Relations dept. and complain. They told me if they decide to offer any kind of extended coverage they will contact the last known owner of the vehicle and advise them. The body shop manager at the local Ford dealer told me he see's it all the time on Explorers and he said at his shop it around a $400 fix. So I ask all of you with the same problem.....please call Ford and complain about it..hopefully we'll have power in numbers. And if anyone gets and results please let the rest of us know.

I'm going to replace my corroded passenger fender with a steel replacement. My wife bumped a sign a while back on the driver's side, and the fenders were fairly cheap at $68 each with my discount.

Back