Paint Flaking Off - Need Help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint Flaking Off - Need Help!!!

The paint from the front bumper cover has started flaking off. The car is a 2000 Explorer XLT. I would appreciate any advice on a good, low cost solution to this problem.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunatley flaking will require refinishing.
Visit a local, high quality body shop.

Thank you for your advice. I am sure that taking it to a body shop is the right thing to do. The problem I have is that the Explorer is primarily my wife's car, and as such it spends a lot of time in shopping center and supermarket parking lots. At these lots it is subjected to abuse from other cars, shopping carts, etc. Going to a body shop is an expensive proposition, and unfortunately under the circumstances I don't think the repainted bumper will last longer then 6 months without acquiring new dings. That is why I wanted to know if there is an adequate job I can do myself, such as stripping the old paint from the bumper and repainting it, perhaps even using spray cans, assuming the original color can be matched. I fully realize that it is not going to come close to a professional job, but considering the circumstances it is a more practical option.

well if you want to try it your self,,,,,, and you are not overly concerned with the end result,,,,,,,,
See if you can get your hands on a dual action sander ( DA )
" feather edge " the paint with 180 grit paper. What " Feather edge " means it to
spread out and make smooth the paint layers. With it pealing you might have to walk it all out a good bit. Rub it with your hand as flat as you can. You should not feel any of the paint edges. The end result should look like the life rings on a chopped down tree trunk.
Hit every thing with 320 grit. Prime it, 400 grit the prime, clean it, clean it, paint it.

Great advice and instructions. Thanks!!! I actually do some woodworking as a hobby and have a variety of sanders one of which is a random orbit sander. I believe that is what you mean by a dual action sander since my sander has both rotary and orbital motion. I just have one other question - is original paint available from a dealer or anyone in spray cans?

Yeah that sounds like a DA to me.

You can get factory match paint form a body shop supply house.
Check the yeller' pages.

MONMIX, my b/f is a body man too. Seems like you give some good advice, which is something you don't get a lot of, it seems.

Question from him - do you use PPG?

BadBooKitty said:
MONMIX, my b/f is a body man too. Seems like you give some good advice, which is something you don't get a lot of, it seems.

Question from him - do you use PPG?

We have been shooting Sikkins for years and years.

Thanks for the comment. I try to help others in a way I would like them to help me.

I use PPG, and just did a rubber bumper. Regardless if the car was done base clear, I recommend you use DCC urethane paint... it's single stage, requiring no clear. You'll needd reducer for the proper temp and DCX-61 hardener. I HIGHLY recommend you use DX-814 flex additive, increases your chances of a repeat. otherwise what Monmix told you was completely accurate. Paint will run you $100.

Back