• Register Today It's free!

Paint Headlight Black??

Timz917

Reaction score
City, State
Avon,MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Has anyone painted the inside of the headlights black? Like to match the aftermarket ones? If not do you think this will work? I'm thinking flat black krylon plastic paint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are talking about the reflector right? Please tell me you aren't talking about the lens... Also if you use flat black paint, the reflector will be useless, and you won't be able to see anything at night if its more than 20 feet away.

there is a difference between shading or tinting, and flat black rattle can, lol. If you don't think so grab some and put it on your windows. ;) :D

Ok, thats what I thought you were after. They look good, but I'd try and talk to someone who has them, or the same kind of light for a different vehicle. That way you can figure out exactly what to paint. It looks like kind of a black chrome type finish in there. Its dark, but it still needs to reflect light for the headlamps to work properly.

not tinting the windows. lol.... cmon guys focus here. like the aftermarket ones in the link. do you think it will be easy enough the paint it myself?

Ok, thats what I thought you were after. They look good, but I'd try and talk to someone who has them, or the same kind of light for a different vehicle. That way you can figure out exactly what to paint. It looks like kind of a black chrome type finish in there. Its dark, but it still needs to reflect light for the headlamps to work properly.

k. Ya ill probably paint everything beside the reflectors obvs. Like the 2 circles on the high beam and the low beam

You could get a similar look by just doing one or two coats of nightshade.

http://www.trucknvans.com/VHT-Nite-Shades-p/sp999.htm

With one can from Meijers for about 8 bucks I was able to do my corners (5 coats) and my buddys tailights (4 coats) with a little leftover still.

But that will probably really cut down my light. I wouldn't want that.

I'm new here but I will give my two cents in on this. Night Shades is some neat stuff but like you said could cut down on visibility. I used it but went a different route on my actual headlight, check it out! Shaded headlamps and corners

I want to do my headlights like the ones in the original post, except in the same silver paint as my X's exterior, except only the outer parts, not going inside the reflector (I think, I'll have to look at those more to see which would look better). Then I want to put white halos that Flashtech is selling, and projectors. It'll look kickass, but it'll be a little bit, because that's a good chunk of money....

He's looking for lights like I have on my 150.

After150.jpg

From what I'm told you put them in the oven for 10-15 mins. at 250* or so. Then the lens sould seperate from the base. ruff the area your painting, mask off, paint, and then seal them back up with a glue of some kind. I'd look into glue foe aquariums or something. I was going to this myself, but figured I'd just buy some instead of screwing my up...and then buying some anyway.:(

Ah, muddydan, we did something similar to that for my buddy's taillights, for the reverse lights we taped them off for more light.

But I think just one/two shade(s) wouldn't cut down a whole lot on visibility

That looks nice! I did this to a 03 ram sport. A tip, once you have the lens removed, let it cool before masking, I had some of the chrome in the light housing pull up with the tape leaving blotches of the bare plastic

Yeah I also taped my reverse lights off when i did them :D, I did two coats on the inside of the lens on my mustang. You could tell that it darkened it but still clearly visible

i just installed my projectors in my headlights. i just baked them at 350 degrees for 3minutes then pulled the lens apart little by little. i had to reheat the headlight about 3-4 times. after everything cooled and was taken apart i sanded the part i wanted to paint then cleaned them and taped off the upper reflector. i used krylon fusion gloss black paint 2 coats then installed my projectors and reinstalled everything. i recommend using gloss black because when you put the clear lense on it looks like a semi gloss paint. turned out very clean and took about 4 hours start to finish with installing and wiring the hid projectors.

Im wanting to paint that chrome middle piece, does anyone know if the 2002-2005 headlights come apart like shown here:

IMG_0588.jpg

Or will I need to tape it off since its all a single piece?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look at the bottom of the clear lense there should be a screw down there or look around the outside of the light to see a screw. it should separate

Back