Paint Issues - Non Hood | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My paint issues: 2 separate body work jobs costing 1K each (under warranty luckily because I caught it under 60K KM.
1. All the bottom edges of my 4 doors, paint wore off down to the bare metal. Because the doors flex in the door frame and because of poor fit the plastic rocker panel along the bottom rubs off all the paint.
2. Everyone check your rear doors. On the inside door seem where the sheet metal folds over, Following along the contour of the rear wheel well. This is a major place for corrosion. Mine was bubbling and corroding all along those seams big time. I imagine when water gets in from the rear window it pools inside the rear door along that rounded contour and corrodes there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did anyone else besides me ever have issues with the paint peeling on the back?
I have a very new Explorer Sport and noticed two little outward bumps just below the license plate. These are now peeling. I does not look any thing like the car was hit because the bumps are raised.

I have a very new Explorer Sport and noticed two little outward bumps just below the license plate. These are now peeling. I does not look any thing like the car was hit because the bumps are raised.
Have the dealer check it out Mark.

Have the dealer check it out Mark.
I am taking it in for a scheduled detailing service next week. I will point it out to them. I was also happy that for that visit they will be looking at the high pitched sound issue I have discussed on another thread. Thank you so much.

>
2016 Explorer - Paint flaking off on roof near windshield.

I have a 2016 Explorer and I noticed some spots on the roof just above the windshield and after closer inspection I realized that the paint is flaking off yet there is no signs of impact from rocks or road debris. Has anyone else had this issue? The vehicle has over 61k on it so it is out of the paint defect warranty.

20180507_200610.jpg

20180507_200624.jpg

20180507_200648.jpg

>

I have a 2016 Explorer and I noticed some spots on the roof just above the windshield and after closer inspection I realized that the paint is flaking off yet there is no signs of impact from rocks or road debris. Has anyone else had this issue? The vehicle has over 61k on it so it is out of the paint defect warranty.

View attachment 158667

View attachment 158668

View attachment 158669

I had paint issues beneath the rubber flap that sits between the windshield and the roof line. This turned out to be related to a windshield replacement. The tech that replaced it did an awful job of trying to break the original seal and ran his tool along the paint, scratching it all up. The tech must not have bothered to seal over the breached paint and it rusted. I noticed the rust after I bought the vehicle as a certified pre-owned. The dealership probably didn't look under the rubber seal. I took touch up paint and covered over it all.

That probably doesn't help you, but from an aerodynamics perspective, all the air, including any road debris/rocks, pushed over the windshield and hits that lip where you have flaking. That's the only explanation I can think of for what you are experiencing. I did have the paint issue on the lip of the hood that most folks on here have dealt with.

>

Welcome to the Forum Josh.:wave:
A member in post #85 had the same issue. As far as I know that makes two posts on this issue. You can try some touch up paint if you don't want to get the roof repainted or see if a body shop can recommend something.

Peter

Back