paint job | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

paint job

is there anyone here who knows about painting cars.....i might have access to a paint booth and was wondering if i am getting myself in over my head. Im not bragging but i am good at this sort of thing..i have painted pieces on my car and other things. im not worried about applying the paint but mixing it with the right reducers and hardeners, and also getting the drying time right cause i want to paint a boss mustang style flat black design on the hood and sides. i also dont know which paint to use...ppg..basf or what and what primers if any i need....the hood needs to be taken down to metal cause it has crows foot on it. well anyway...if there is anyone on here who can give me some tips i would greatly appreciate it.

thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try visiting www.paintucation.com

It is a site that deals with all the issues you are asking about.

Kevin, the host, is a painter, and it is visited by many who are either professional or part time automotive painters.

Hope this helps.

Ketch

PPG is the easiest to spray. Some paint suppliers will mix your colors for you.
If you are going down to bare metal you WILL need to prime , or if you do any mud work , that will need to be primed as well.
It all boils down the the results you desire.
Even if you do a great job , a pro will always do better.
He'll know what to do if some thing " goes wrong "
but it does cost more. You gotta weigh the differences.

I would prime everything anyway. Primer does a great job of showing bad places before you spray the expensive stuff. I agree that PPG makes great products. I have never used a paint both, so can't tell you anything about that or drying times in it. I grew up just hanging plastic in the garage with a fan and keeping everything wet.

Good luck!

Robb

thanks for the link Ketch....monmix...i pretty much chose BASF's RM-Diamont paint system....there is a place on the web www.autobodysuppyl.com that sells the paint for what i consider a good price. what do you think and what is your experiance?

I know nothing about BASF. The shop I work for has been using Sikkins for a zillion years. It is awesome stuff. Real tough long lasting paint , but does take a bit more skill. I painted my S-10 Blazer with PPG ( actually a co-worker painted it ) and I got the base , a ton of clear and a resparator for $240.00

thats about the same price for the BASF. that painucation site is great stuff!!! you can really learn alot there. thanks again ketch

Originally posted by MONMIX
PPG is the easiest to spray.

We use Dupont and I think it is an easy paint to work with. I think it comes down to what you are used to.

I think any of the clear coat stuff is easy anymore and they tell you what harders and reducers to use on the back of the can. Go to a autobody supply store and they will mix your paint and help you with what you need.

The biggest thing is make sure your prep work has been done right. Doesn't matter how good you can lay down the color if the surface isn't cleaned and sanded properly then the paint will look like ca-ca.....

i am planning on doing some painting this winter, so look for a thread titled "ghetto paint booth" in a few months... basically, you want lots of CLEAN ventalation. i have learned a few tricks on "garage painting" myself, and have had some projects turn out awesome. understand this- a good paint job is 60% prep, 30% wetsand/buffing, and 10% spray. do it right on the prep, and learn how to wet sand/buff like your gonna do it for a living... the end results will be worth it. also, as a good ghetto trick for trapping dust (like morrisey said) keep the floor wet. dont use a spray nozzle on the hose, and dont run the water right before you paint or while the paint is still tacky. this will actually stir up more dust. just soak the floor about 30 mins. b4 you start.

i have used PPG several times, and DuPont once, and have had very good luck with both. i only had one project that i had to take back down and start over, and it was my own fault (never spray while drunk).;)

Mulitple colors?

what about laying down mulitple colors....cause ive seen the tech sheets for most of these paints and they say that if you let it dry for more than 24 hrs. you have to sand and recolor. are you supposed to have your design taped and sprayed, remove tape and clear coat in less than 24 hrs? how is this possible? any way just thought i would throw that out there.

Back