Paint or decal help me decide, weekend mod. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint or decal help me decide, weekend mod.

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Well I am feeling the need to do something to my Explorer this weekend. What I am thinking about is either using Molecubond or a custom decal on my cargo cover. I saw one on here that was painted and said EXPLORER on the cargo cover. I was thinking either that or going with a decal that matches the Explorer No Boundaries logo. If I could get the molecubond in various colors I might consider doing the logo in paint.

What are your thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think its an awesome idea :D :D Dead Link Removed

that is pretty cool.... but what about when the thing is rolled up? i wonder if the decal or the paintlike stuff would stick well to the vynil?

I like the Explorer painted on I think I emailed him a while back and he said that he has no problem with the paint even when rolled up.

I think that this could look good, but without the red I would let the blue from my cargo cover show through making it blue. I would add a large FORD oval above it.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• logo_no_boundaries.gif
    logo_no_boundaries.gif
    5 KB · Views: 225

that would look cool

I was thinking of something more like this.

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 221

heh, he is me...i dont recall talking to you about it, but i mighta forgotten about it...unless youre doing a sticker, youll want to stay with a simple design so that you can make a stencil pretty easily. the paint held up fine, but youll want to use a vinyl paint cause mine is still sticky. let me know if youve got any questions! :p

Well I am sure I asked you about your cover yours is the only one I have seen. Makes it more unique! I am going to get lizardtrac to make me a decal and I will use that as my stencil. I figured either way I had to get the stencil which means buying the decal first. I would basically be increasing my costs if I went with the vinyl paint because I would be destroying the decal stencil. I like the idea of painting it.

So you didn't use the molecubond or some other type of vinyl paint? If yours is still sticky what did you use?

I will attempt to make my own stencil this weekend and see how it goes. I've bought a blue cover from some other kind of SUV to use as a trial and work out all the kinks. Cost was 2.00 at thrift store.

i used cheap spray paint, and it didnt turn out so hot. actually, if youre getting a sticker made you might as well just use that instead of paint, unless you want to paint...

Originally posted by Fish Man
i used cheap spray paint, and it didnt turn out so hot. actually, if youre getting a sticker made you might as well just use that instead of paint, unless you want to paint...

I think that paint will look better and not as cheezy as a decal would. Lizardtrac is working up a price on a decal or maybe a die-cut I'll have to ask him.

sounds good, let me know when its done!

Back