Paint over herculiner? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint over herculiner?

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Has anyone painted a different color of regular spray paint over herculiner (or similar product)? Did it stick? Hold up well? I need to put something on my new sliders and would like the benefits of herc, but would also like to match the color up to my moulding/trim. I know, I know........function over form!:D But, if I can make them match, why not?

Thanks!

Robb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is a company that can make a herculiner type stuff that is any color you want.... also, i have seen some herculiner type stuff, maybe it even is herc where you can add paint ot it in liquid form and paint.....

Thanks Jim! But I am not looking for anything fancy like that. I just want to go out tommorow and get some sort of lining and be able to spray over it. I just need to know if the paint will stick well if I do it.

Anyone done it?

Robb

I don't think it'd be very durable unless the color was actually mixed in with the Herc. I can just see it flaking off after something rubs against it.

Rob, might be possible to mix it some paint color with the can of herc. Just a thougt....

You can't turn black into a color.

Well over my sliders

I first roughed them up with a wire brush....then I sprayed on multiple coats of black (the color of my Ex) rustoleum......waited a few days ....then I sprayed on the Rock Gaurd from any Maaco (got my Rockers all the way up to the trim, fenderflairs and wheelwells done from Maaco..meaning they did the work)... They gave me all the cans they had left in black to fill in any "trail art." Relatively cheap from them....cost me about $200.... The Rock Gaurd can be put on in multiple layers and it looks good too.... comes in multiple colors.... the multiple layering makes it almost as hard as Herc...example: I hit my own Bronco's tail light with my Ex's fender flair and cracked it...not paying attention I went about 6 more inches and thought that I had either a.) put a real deep scratch in the fender flair or b.) tore the damn fender flair off......when I looked I was amazed to see that the deep scratch that I feared was little and didn't even phase the Rock Gaurd...I just sprayed a little over the scratch and it looks good as new... Now I just got to get a new tail light for my Bronco. here is a pretty good pic of my sliders and the Rock Gaurd...http://www.msnusers.com/FordExplorer4x4/somemoremods.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=447

Rock Gaurd is not on the sliders yet cause they are just getting installed in this pic but shows the Rock Gaurd better on the Rocker panels and flairs...http://www.msnusers.com/FordExplorer4x4/somemoremods.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=415

Karol

Back