• Register Today It's free!

Paint question

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
I'm about to grind and sand all the rust off my fender, tail gate and under running boards. My question is what's best to do after it is to bare metal. I mean I used to prime, paint and wax, but is there a proven product that will REALLY repel rust before I paint over. Also I would like to put Herculiner (not on my hootus..) on/under running boards, and on the fender so the rocks dont peel of the paint to metal again. What are your suggestion, how would you proced to do a clean job before/after painting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone

Does anyone of you ever did some paint to there truck, or are you all to rich and have the entire truck repaint. I cannot afford this, and the rest of the paint is in good condition. I'm shure some of you do spray-can painting as a hobby LOL For the fenders I want to put some Bushwaker flares, is it a good investment Thanks for the help

whoa whoa calm down there tiger :). I think that Herculiner is an excellent option for what to do with the bare metal after the rust is off. Unfortunatly I'm not a painter so I can't give you too much advice on that, may try and talk to perry.

Sorry

I wasent meant to insult anybody, maybe my writing was to impatient. Sorry again, I should know better.

You ask a simple question, but the answer can be very long. I'll try to keep this short. First, is the rust on the surface only, or has it perforated the sheetmetal? Surface rust can be sanded out, but perforated rust requires replacement of the panel if you want a permanent repair. "Repaired" panels will almost certainly re-rust. Perforated rust usually starts from inside the panel, and treating/correcting the rust on the inside is usually harder than just replacing the panel.

After you strip all the paint off the sheetmetal, you have to etch the metal or else the paint won't adhere. In the old days, phosporic acid was used. Most shops now use an etching primer. A sealer is usually applied next, then the base coat, and finally the clear coat.

I would suggest that you visit an automotive paint supply store, and ask these questions. Most stores have a knowledgeable and helpful staff. I would also recommend that you use products from the same manufacturer (i.e. DuPont, Sherwin Williams, etc). This will ensure compatibility with the various products.

Rust

On most that I want to paint, it is surface rust. But arond the gas door, it is bubbling a bit, so I am suspecting the rust is from the inside out, and beginnig to perforate. Am I correct in my assumption, I hope not. I will go to a auto paint supply (2 min from home) and show them my truck. I know it exist some rust inibitor, but do they really work, if so what kind would you recommend. Thanks all

I doubt that you will be able to successfully stop the bubbling rust unless you can access both sides of the sheetmetal. If you can, then once the rust has been removed, just about anything that shields the metal from the elements (i.e. water, salt, etc) will work, including paint. The key is to completely remove all rust, and completely seal both sides of the metal.

I have had some success with rust converter products. They convert the rust (red iron oxide) to a more stable form (black iron oxide). They typically don't leave a smooth surface, so when you paint over it, it will look like rust that has been painted over. Also, these products don't work if you have sanded the rust, which is why you won't get a smooth surface.

Talk to the paint supply people. They can look at it and recommend the best treatment. Good luck!

"Bubbling" rust on the outer surfaces is due to the "e-coat" being broken down to bare metal.

The use of "acid etch" primers replaces the "e-coat", which is what stops moisture from reaching the metal.

The paint system around the gas cap was nicked down to bare metal, that is why the area is "bubbling", not perforation rust, but allowed to continue will eat through.

This is different from rust starting from the inside and "eating" it's way out.

All of todays hi-solid paint systems absorb moisture, the e-coat is what stops it from rusting.

There is a product that you can spray on the bare metal that replaces the factory e-coat, it is called ZeroRust and they have a website.

If you wish to see how the manufacturers apply and what layers, the thickness of them , visit www.autoint.com and look under the Tech Tips Section.

There is also under the OEM/TSB Section all the paint/trim information that Ford dealers have on their Ford dealer only web site which you can not access.

Back