• Register Today It's free!

paint question

hovi

Reaction score
City, State
western md
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4wd OHV v6
can anyone tell me about how much paint it would take to paint my 97 2dr? im currently fixing dents created from its past owner and plan on painting it a flat tan afterwards. im just curious if anyone knows about how much paint i should be looking to buy. Thanks

i think it probably depends on what kind of paint job you want :D
if your going to be multiple coats. i would think about a gal and a half to 2. not that im a auto painter by any means. i used to know someone who painted his car in about a gal, so ive always just based things by that. im sure someone else will shine some light for you though.

also welcome to the forum!

A single stage paint in a single color, about 4-6 quarts. A base-clear, about 3-4 quarts of each.

More for lighter colors, more if you are using a siphon feed instead of HVLP. I can paint a semi with a standard cab and no sleeper in 3-5 quarts of paint, and I'd say there is about the same or a little less surface area to cover.

Then however much it costs to have a professional re-paint it after you are done. No offense. It takes a lot of practice to get an automotive paint job to look right.

I wouldn't be able to guess for rattle cans.

You could also look into rustoleum paint jobs online.

Back