Paint the grille? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint the grille?

Mikes95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I want to paint my grille to match the color of the truck... thinking about painting the chrome piece around the headlights etc too.....

1) How easy would this be to do?
2) What materials would I need, like what paint to use, and clearcoat etc????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is how I did mine.

Dead Link Removed

Good luck and post pics when you are finished...

Thanks Al..... just a quick question? Have you had any problems with the paint coming off or fading, chipping, etc?? What kind of paint did you use??? Also, is there any clearcoat that you can put on?? Thanks for the info! It will probably be a few weeks before I do this, but I'm trying to gather info.... :)

Originally posted by Mikes95XLT
Thanks Al..... just a quick question? Have you had any problems with the paint coming off or fading, chipping, etc?? What kind of paint did you use??? Also, is there any clearcoat that you can put on?? Thanks for the info! It will probably be a few weeks before I do this, but I'm trying to gather info.... :)

The key is in the prep work. I have had no paint cjip, fade or come off even in barrage of Florida buggs.

I don't remember the paint brand - it was automotive paint and I did not clearcoat it.

Good luck....

Thanks so much for the info.... and that grille behind the stock one, was that the stock grille mesh you just painted???? Or mesh you bought??

It is the stock mesh. I just cleaned it up and shot it silver.

i wanna do that to match the body. Can a shop make me a spray can of my body color. Like a paint match? Also, is there a clearcoat i could spray on it, or would that be getting to hard. If i clearcoat it, does that mean i resand it, then clear coat it again, ect.

How much harder would it be to spray clear on it?

I was gonna do mine in the body color but decided on the flat black instead.

I like the way it came out.

Ok I'm re-thinking this now. The chrome area on my Ex is in perfect conditon, and I really like the contrast on the dark blue. BUT I'm thinking about painting just the grille between the headlights, and not the chrome part. What do you think??

Originally posted by XLT_66
i wanna do that to match the body. Can a shop make me a spray can of my body color. Like a paint match?
check around your local paint supply houses, there is one here that has a machine and they will load whatever auto type paint into a can you want (PPG, DuPont, etc.). i have used some of it before, and it works pretty good. just remember, because they have to mix it, they will not put hardly any hardener in it. you have to let it cure for a LONG time.

Back