Paint Treatment for Factory Wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint Treatment for Factory Wheels

JimInRadfordVA

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Radford, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
I'm considering a semi-blackout treatment on my 2002 'Trac factory wheels, like this. Stock on the right, painted (crappy MSPaint job) on the left. What do you think?

Attachments

• wheel paint.jpg
    wheel paint.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 374

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that looks better than all black wheels for sure. I think it would look similar to the newer wheels without the hubcaps.

ford-ranger-rims-3463b-b.jpg

A guy at the salvage yard I go to has a Ranger with these wheels painted a dark charcoal. He painted the whole wheel. I think they look good in charcoal, but wouldn't like them all black.

I've been thinking about doing something like what you have in mind Jim on my '01 with those same wheels that you have. My wheels are great candidates for painting because the finish is deteriorating, but I can't decide what I want. I think I want a softer look than gloss black - maybe a satin black or charcoal. But I haven't figured out the pattern I want.

Any recommendations on paint and process?

It's all in the prep work. Clean them really well and scuff up what you want to paint slightly. I know there's specific wheel paint but I don't have any experience with painting wheels.

Within the past 3 weeks or so, there was a thread or posts somewhere where someone said he used Aircraft Paint Stripper to strip the original clearcoat off his factory wheels. I think it's sold at Walmart and of course elsewhere. He said that stuff took the clearcoat off easily. Otherwise it's a lot of sanding to get to the bare aluminum. There is special wheel paint in spray cans available wherever automotive spray paints are sold. I know Walmart sells black, charcoal, and white, but there are probably other colors available somewhere. I think the brand is VHT, but I could be wrong, and there's probably more than one brand.

A guy at the salvage yard I go to has a Ranger with these wheels painted a dark charcoal. He painted the whole wheel. I think they look good in charcoal, but wouldn't like them all black.

I've been thinking about doing something like what you have in mind Jim on my '01 with those same wheels that you have. My wheels are great candidates for painting because the finish is deteriorating, but I can't decide what I want. I think I want a softer look than gloss black - maybe a satin black or charcoal. But I haven't figured out the pattern I want.

I powdercoated a set I used to own, in "Smoked chrome" but I think "Argento" looks a bit better.

1-2.jpg

I powdercoated a set I used to own, in "Smoked chrome" but I think "Argento" looks a bit better.

1-2.jpg

I like that color, and that's probably the color I would go with if I decide to do the entire wheel. I'd like to duplicate the AR wheels on my '02 - black center spokes with polished aluminum outer rims - but that doesn't work with the 1 piece factory wheel design.

I've thought about having my topper painted about that color if I ever feel the need to swap it from the silver truck to the black one. The white topper looks surprisingly good on the silver truck. In most light conditions it doesn't jump out that the truck and topper don't match, but the white topper on a black truck just wouldn't do.

Back