Painted fenders/trim | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted fenders/trim

Hey guys what's up? Well on my black sport i have the ugly gray fender trim all around. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of paint etc i would need to paint it black to match my body color? Has anyone painted their fenders themselves? I would also like to paint my nerf bars black as well. The fender trim doesn't look to hard/long to do. I wouldn't have to take them off the truck to do it right? What do you suggest i used to mask off the other parts of the truck. This wouldn't be more then a nice afternoon job right :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If ya want to do it nice you should take them right off (don`t ask me how they come off)

Prep is essential for a good paint job, sand them to rough up the paint, you don`t have to take the paint off, but rough it up. Then clean them with some acetone or something similiar.

You could mask them off with just masking tape and old newspapers. Maybe a tarp over most ofe the truck to make sure you don`t get overspray on it. Throw some garbage bags over your tires for good measure even. They would be easier to sand and prep if you masked it off first too.

Don`t forget to prep it well, it makes a difference!

What is this about ugly gray trim ?

Hah! All black is sexy!

Funny you should mention this...

I am going to a place on Saturday to get an estimate on having this stuff painted (front bumper trim, lower valence, runningboards, back bumper trim, and step, and also the front grille... no more chrome grille for me) so I can let you know what they say.

There are also D.I.Y. threads here on this too....

Take em off and leave em off if you plan on running larger tires. I finally gave up on putting them back on after every trip. What sux is there are holes when you take them off, time to get glass fenders.:bounce:

I'm only putting on 17's when it gets nice out so the fenders should be alright. I asked my friend's dad who owns a shop and he said 300 for the whole trim but he didn't look at it so it may be more.

Back