Painted Pillar Trim | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted Pillar Trim

when i paint thing it either cracks for fades and holds dirt i can make it look good when its first done, like my frame its crap again already. my buddy used the same paint on the same style truck and his looks good still and he never washes his truck mins always clean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when i paint thing it either cracks for fades and holds dirt i can make it look good when its first done, like my frame its crap again already. my buddy used the same paint on the same style truck and his looks good still and he never washes his truck mins always clean

Maybe you should stop washing your truck. :p:

probly should. i bought the truck new and its already on its second paint job, it swirled all to heck from the mud and wash mits i use the lambs hair ones and it still swirled but the expoder is still smooth and shiny.

Shine on brother, shine on. :D

was think of doin that to mine! nice write up. My x- is white and it isn't chipping, fading or anything at all. My door pillars were fading and chipping, I called ford to complain- waited for 15 mins on hold with a rep- and they said all they can do is send me oem style silver "explorer" pillar covers. they look decent. and best of all... they were free.

I had all of my pillars painted black at the body shop, looks like new! Nice glossy black. Its been over a year ago and shows no sign of wear. I believe the body shop did a better job than Ford did

was think of doin that to mine! nice write up. My x- is white and it isn't chipping, fading or anything at all. My door pillars were fading and chipping, I called ford to complain- waited for 15 mins on hold with a rep- and they said all they can do is send me oem style silver "explorer" pillar covers. they look decent. and best of all... they were free.

I'm not a big fan of the silver or chrome. I like the black. I'm glad you're happy with yours though and you can't beat the price!!!

I had all of my pillars painted black at the body shop, looks like new! Nice glossy black. Its been over a year ago and shows no sign of wear. I believe the body shop did a better job than Ford did

Can I ask how much you paid to have them painted?

Can I ask how much you paid to have them painted?

it was between a 100 and 200 i believe. Well worth it.
Every body shop is different, i would just price around.

You might want to try an Epoxy based paint.. I have considered doing that on mine. That is what airliners are pained with. I used to paint with it and it is seriously tough stuff. Dupont sells it in a pray can if I recall. I is the same stuff your home stove and washer and dryer are painted with. I don't know how well it will work, but you have to at least clean it very well with Acetone (not on plastic) or ispopropyl alcohol. It might work better than normal laquer. try it on a small part first.

DSC03368.jpg

DSC03366.jpg

Not the best pics, it was almost dark outside. Before i had them painted they looked terrible. The Clear Coat on the Drivers door pillar was almost completely gone, and the Front Passenger door pillar had some bad scratch's. Can not be happier on how they turned out. I didnt want to tackle the project cause if i screwed up, thts it cant go back, thts why i had the body shop do it.

They look good. :thumbsup:

Update:It's been over a year since I painted the luggages rack and wiper arms with the Rust-Oleum trim paint. Still very shiny. I am happy with the results. I'm going to do the Pillars when it warms up.:smoke:

Update:It's been over a year since I painted the luggages rack and wiper arms with the Rust-Oleum trim paint. Still very shiny. I am happy with the results. I'm going to do the Pillars when it warms up.:smoke:

Ditto, waiting for warmer weather and I will tackle same

Brian, that looks really good. :thumbsup: Same as you guys, when the weather gets warmer I will tackle the side pillars and the roof rack!

I got my '02 last summer and the paint on them pillars was horrible (clear was half gone). My dad and I removed the rear ones and the side/door ones. I took em to a sink and wet sanded on them for a while. We took em outside and hung them up and painted away. The first one looked horrible because the paint looked like a spider web when it dried (although it looked fine when wet). I don't know what the deal was but we sanded it back down and used a slightly lighter coat and it seemed to work better. Reinstalled and they look great now!

Oops, forgot to add we also took the roof rack sliders off and painted them too.

I was thinking about asking about this! Thanks So Much! Would you mind showing the bolts for the side panels?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I keep reading, I keep finding new projects I'll be doing myself. AWESOME! Thanks

Back