Painted Pillar Trim | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted Pillar Trim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rustoleum automotive spray paint gloss black

rustoleum automotive spray paint gloss black

Thanks! Be sure to let us know how it holds up. I used Krylon Fusion on the rears with no clear and it has held up awesome! Every now and then I hit it with some polish and it shines like the hope diamond. ;)

Its Done!

Finally got around to painting mine! Used Fusion on the entire job, I also decided to mask them off while on the truck. Looks 100 times better. This is 2 coats using 600 between the coats, with no clear. After it dried and I lived with them for a day, I suppose it could have used 1 more coat, but I can save that for another day, I have been cussing those pillars since the day I bought the truck, now they look like new!

Nice job! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info and pictures. I have a 2003 explorer with the same exact problem on all 6 pillars. after looking at your pic's , I will do the same. Thanks. Terry

Thanks for the info and pictures. I have a 2003 explorer with the same exact problem on all 6 pillars. after looking at your pic's , I will do the same. Thanks. Terry

You're welcome! :D

Mine are currently faded. I would normally hit them with wax every time I washed my Ex, but I haven't washed it in a while. I plan on sanding them down and spraying a couple of coats of Fusion Clear Coat on them to help protect against the sun.

KrylonFusionClear-CanCustom.jpg

You're welcome! :D

Mine are currently faded. I would normally hit them with wax every time I washed my Ex, but I haven't washed it in a while. I plan on sanding them down and spraying a couple of coats of Fusion Clear Coat on them to help protect against the sun.

KrylonFusionClear-CanCustom.jpg

I plan on doing this soon. So sand with 600 grit....... use Krylon Fusion gloss black...then the clear coat.

Question about my trim....I just painted that also with the Krylon fusion...didnt use the clear...If I do some sanding can go over it again with another coat of paint?? Im new to painting

I plan on doing this soon. So sand with 600 grit....... use Krylon Fusion gloss black...then the clear coat.

Question about my trim....I just painted that also with the Krylon fusion...didnt use the clear...If I do some sanding can go over it again with another coat of paint?? Im new to painting

What I did was: sand with 600 grit, wet sand with 800 grit, spray with krylon fusion.

I did not use primer and I did not use the clear coat.

I want to use clear coat on the trim that I have already painted, so I will sand it again, then spray the color, then spray the clear after the color has dried.

Hope this helps out!! ;):thumbsup:

What I did was: sand with 600 grit, wet sand with 800 grit, spray with krylon fusion.

I did not use primer and I did not use the clear coat.

I want to use clear coat on the trim that I have already painted, so I will sand it again, then spray the color, then spray the clear after the color has dried.

Hope this helps out!! ;):thumbsup:

Ok just to clarify. No need to use clear coat on the pillars?

Also I wanted to touch up the bumper trim I already painted a week ago. I sand first then I can put another coat of pain on?

Ok just to clarify. No need to use clear coat on the pillars?

Also I wanted to touch up the bumper trim I already painted a week ago. I sand first then I can put another coat of pain on?

Use clear on the pillars or the paint will fade. Sand with 600 grit, wet sand with 800 grit, spray with krylon fusion black, then spray the clear after the color has dried.

I don't know about using clear on the bumpers. I would sand the already painted bumpers before applying a new coat of paint.

Use clear on the pillars or the paint will fade. Sand with 600 grit, wet sand with 800 grit, spray with krylon fusion black, then spray the clear after the color has dried.

I don't know about using clear on the bumpers. I would sand the already painted bumpers before applying a new coat of paint.

I really appreciate it man...thanks

Well, BigRondo, Two things Ilearned from you today 10. replacing the temp sensor and the painting of the side panels on my 2002 explorer. Thnaks for posting. hint I did replace a door handle on my 1992 toyota Camry, primer and paint i got from auto store. match perfectly. now I al painted the lugage rack on top of the explorer seesm to be holding up oK.

Well, BigRondo, Two things Ilearned from you today 10. replacing the temp sensor and the painting of the side panels on my 2002 explorer. Thnaks for posting. hint I did replace a door handle on my 1992 toyota Camry, primer and paint i got from auto store. match perfectly. now I al painted the lugage rack on top of the explorer seesm to be holding up oK.

Glad I could help out. :D:thumbsup:

If you wet sand between coats with a higher grit paper (1000+) and then do a couple coats of clear, then wetsand that with something pretty high grit as well and then polish it they will probably be nearly as glossy as the windows and not have the textured look.

Hey guys, Just finished mine.

First off:
I saw someone asking how to remove the driver door panel with the keypad. Here are pics showing how, it's really easy.

Take it off just as Rondo described in his post a page back with 1 extra step:
IMG_20120421_213432.jpg

Disconnect the wiring harness
IMG_20120421_213439.jpg

Pinch the tabs on the top and bottom of the keypad, Might need a flat blade if it's real stiff like mine was, it'll pop right out
IMG_20120421_213453.jpg

IMG_20120421_213540.jpg

IMG_20120421_213558.jpg

:thumbsup:

If you wet sand between coats with a higher grit paper (1000+) and then do a couple coats of clear, then wetsand that with something pretty high grit as well and then polish it they will probably be nearly as glossy as the windows and not have the textured look.

:salute:
IMG_20120422_132308.jpg

IMG_20120422_133447.jpg

My how-to thread: CLICK HERE

i heard on the 02's u are able to remove the rear trim.is this true or is this revited like the later models?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is an '02, It has rivets.

Back