Painted the "4.0L SOHC" letters on my engine cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted the "4.0L SOHC" letters on my engine cover

SouthernSAR

Reaction score
City, State
Naples, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer ST XLS
I was trying to get that rubber elbow for the PCV valve piping off and I got frustrated, so I decided to take that black plastic engine cover off and paint the letters on it. I originally chose spray paint, but taping was getting to be a ***** so I bought a paint pen and used that =P Anyways, here's a couple pics!

5jwmrb.jpg

Mounted
rmvf4h.jpg

feedback?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good!!! Post a picture of the paint pen so other members know what you used...

I didn't even think of that lol. It's a Testors brand pen. You can buy a three pack at Michael's. Not sure on the price, my dad picked them up while I was doing paperwork.
jzz5n7.jpg

Cool, I've thought about doing that a couple times.

I never thought about a paint pen. I'm doing this. Thanks for the tip! Looks great!

That's pretty legit! I could see why taping would be a ***** and a half.

I never thought about a paint pen. I'm doing this. Thanks for the tip! Looks great!

x2! GOing to check those pens out. Not a big fan of taping. Looks like it is intended for models etc, wonder how it will hold up.

Hahaha...now next time I'm under the hood getting frustrated I'm going to be eye balling that thing! Looks good! I actually just shined that cover up 3 days ago with Mothers back to black. Worked well on it.. the wiper cowls though...not so well. Not good at all actaully. Even took the time to take them off and wash them in the Wife's bathtub(she was sleeping). Anyway, nice job:thumbsup:

I wonder what else in that engine compartment is going to be "touched up" with the red paint now. Oh the possibilities...

Lol I've got plenty of ideas of things to paint =P And I'll post a follow up in the next couple weeks and let everyone know how it's holding up.

DAMNIT! U beat me to it :( I was gunna do this on sunday lol

Lol I've got plenty of ideas of things to paint =P And I'll post a follow up in the next couple weeks and let everyone know how it's holding up.

You could start with that rusty EGR valve. :p:

That looks great!

Well, just got done with the PCV valve. Elbow WAS a PITA! It wouldnt budge. After blankly staring at it for awile I sprayed it with electrical cleaner. It came right off. I guess it just gave me a better grip(and time to calm down). There is a great write up on the mysporttrac.com site for this.

Update: so far it's holding up fine to numerous rainstorms and insane florida heat =P

Very nice! I'm totally stealing that too! Maybe I'll at least try to find a different color haha. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Update: so far it's holding up fine to numerous rainstorms and insane florida heat =P

Yeah what happened to our winter? Seems like we went from summer to spring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back