Painted the front grill on my 97 Mountaineer black | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted the front grill on my 97 Mountaineer black

First some of you may remember these two pictures. After installing my billet fuel door I photoshoped one of the pictures I took of it. I changed the grill from chrome to a matte black color, leaving the emblem chrome. After that photoshop picture, painting the grill went from a "that would be cool" to something that has to be done. But I had to wait for winter to pass, so I could paint it outside.

So first the before picture and the photoshoped picture.

mountaineer37.jpg

grilltest01.jpg

And here is the final result
grill01.jpg

It actually ended up looking pretty close to the photoshop picture. I do need to redo it though. From heating it up to remove the chrome, some wrinkles were left in the plastic. So I need to do some sanding on it. But I did not have time to do a proper sanding job yesterday. So I just finished it up and I will clean it up in a couple of weeks. It looks great from 10 feet back though :D

I will get more pictures of it later this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I definitely prefer the black. Nice job.

looks awesome 98 mounty I give it 2 thumbs up great job and keep up the good work

The painted grille looks a whole lot better. You did a good job.

-Drew

Thanks guys, I am really happy with the results. The chrome grill on the black looked a little tacky. Now with the black grill it has a much more aggressive look to it.

And thanks to everyone that gave their advice on how to paint the grill. As for the paints I used. I picked up Dupli-colors adhesion promoter primer and applied 3 coats of that. And then I used some black Dupli-color bumper and trim paint. I am hopping since this is a bumper paint, it will hold up to every day driving.

looks nice. but i would have liked to see gloss paint used. but anyway it looks much better mono..but then again im kinda bais..lol

That looks great black! I give you a thumbs up...

that looks Much better

I have a red explorer do you think a black grille would look good on that? any chance you could photoshop a black grill on a red explorer"? any feedback would be great thanks

Jessie Ventura was governor of MN when this thread was posted... tee (then a hee) But the black grill does look good :D

haha ya i didnt notice the date until after i posted

Oh that's too sweeet! I wish my Mountaineer was black. It's white, I wonder how it would look with a black grill.. hmmmm I think a white grill might look too girly.. I might as well paint it ###hsia

:confused:

Shouldn't be an issue, you picked a f.uchsia smilie... :D

Back