Painting Brake Calipers, But Which Color?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting Brake Calipers, But Which Color??

AnabolicFrolic

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
Im going to be switching back to my 20" rims from the stockers since Winter is over and spring is here. While i have the wheels off im going to go ahead and paint my calipers.
I will be using the G2 Caliper Paint system which comes in a variety of colors.. but which color do i use?

Blue? Red? Yellow? Silver? Black? White?

Im really stumped because my X is all blue, the blue theme is carried through out the vehicle. If I paint my calipers blue will I be going overboard? Maybe i need something with more contrast? The only red on my truck is the Edelbrock shocks. But red might work?
Here is a pic of my truck to help u decide:
ExplorerBuilding15.jpg

Help me Decide :confused: :confused: :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

black, it will keep a much cleaner look, or maybe mix some black and blue, all caliper paint i have seen is a real bright color so the bright blue would look outta place, either make a dark blue or black

If you have a blue theme going (under the hood accents, interior, etc) stick with Blue.

Personally I like red, for some reason Red just seems to belong on calipers.

What is this paint system you speak of?

I used some high temp cheapo paint from Pep Boys (red) on my calipers, I painted them only because I was replacing them with new calipers, and I figured what the heck. I cleaned each caliper with Superclean, let it dry and sprayed them up.

It has held up GREAT!! Anytime I have the wheel off (all the time, I'm a maintenence psycho) I clean them off with some more superclean and the shiney red paint is still there underneath the dirt, so I have been happy with the $5 high temp stuff from Pep boys.....

Originally posted by dman726749
black, it will keep a much cleaner look, or maybe mix some black and blue, all caliper paint i have seen is a real bright color so the bright blue would look outta place, either make a dark blue or black

I agree.

black = why paint them?

The reason you see bright colors is because they show up under the dust and dirt...

i have been wanting to do mine also but im stumped as to a color..why even paint them if you do black..there's no point

silver or white maybe?

love your ride btw

White!, It will stand out against the dark blue and the chrome rims.

Hey I second the silver, that would look good, if you dont want a bright color.

I'm with 410, red belongs on calipers :p

9765mvc-536s.jpg

Originally posted by 410Fortune
If you have a blue theme going (under the hood accents, interior, etc) stick with Blue.

Personally I like red, for some reason Red just seems to belong on calipers.

What is this paint system you speak of?

The paint system of which i speak is the G2 Paint System for brake calipers. Its a special brush on system that uses a special bonding agent etc.
The real benefit of it is the fact that its brush-on.. No time consuming masking off of the areas and getting paint where its not wanter. And there is no need to remove the caliper assembly from the disk or anything like that. The downside is that its a 30 dollar system.

Here is a link to the manufacturers website:
http://www.g2usa.com/wheel.shtml

So i cant justify painting my already silver calipers with some 30 dollar silver paint. It would seem like a total waste to me.

SO ive narrowed it down to 2 choices
RED or BLUE
I just dont know which to go with.
I know that blue caliper paint will not MATCH my exterior paint, but it might still look good.
Here is the pic of the actual blue paint:
g2new4.jpg

And the red will just be a bright red.

Im with everyone on the red

12558rim_and_rotor.jpg

since you put it that way, red. definatly.

I vote red also. The blue is nice, but lacks something, you know what I mean?

Also, I have to know. What tires are you running? Do you like em, I mean do you wished you would have gotten something else instead of 20's with those tires? I gotta know, I am almost there wanting rims and tires.

Originally posted by BBQ_HotDogs
I vote red also. The blue is nice, but lacks something, you know what I mean?

Also, I have to know. What tires are you running? Do you like em, I mean do you wished you would have gotten something else instead of 20's with those tires? I gotta know, I am almost there wanting rims and tires.

I still think the red might clash because i have NOTHING thats red on my truck. so it might look out of place.

The tires are Goodyear Eagle II's (275-45 r20). Ive been completely satisified with the tire/wheel packaged i have now. The tires have enough to sidewall to still provide a decent ride. The wet/dry/snow traction is fine. Obviously there are tires with a more aggressive street tread, but im not sure they will perform as well on wet roads, and definatly not as well in snow. These are a good all around tire and are well priced compared to the other offerings in this similar size range.

red i think would kinda stand out and make nice accents. Also paint your swaybars red. If you did blue the colors would be to close and clash each other.

I would go bright.. When I restored my front end I used the following Red/Black color scheme.
LinkPhoto

Your tails are red. :D

edit: Doh, Smoked....some pics they looks red.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorers have small calipers. You don't need to bring attention to them anymore than they already do. You got very nice set of wheels covering it up so that is good. So I vote for black or leave it alone. :)

Back