Painting Brake Rotors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting Brake Rotors

jeffwhiteis

Reaction score
I've read a few dozen threads on other sites regarding painting the rotors, and have yet to find a solid yes/no answer.

Is it ok to paint the "brake surface" of the rotors with brake caliper/rotor paint? Meaning the front, visible side of the rotors where the pads meet with rotor?

I have read that it will significantly decrease braking performace, but then read that it's ok to do it, so I'm really uncertain.

Please advise!

2004 Ford Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No it is not ok,
well, it is if you have the rotors turned ( machined) after painting. There can be no foreign material on the brake surface.

Personally I wouldn't do it. I mean, think about it; you are adding a layer of paint between the rotor and pads. Why make it harder to stop than it already is?

I agree with the others, dont do it!

Why in the world would you want to?

In any case, the paint would be gone after a few stops and the burnt residue would likely gum up the pads and god knows what else....

Same question as above... Why would you ever bother to paint the rotors? Nothing is gonna be left after you hit the brakes...just a stink, maybe some smoke, and a lot of crap on your pads.

Paint the calipers sure, and even you could clean up all the rotor surface that doesn't touch the pads and make it purty, but not on a contact zone.

I can't in any way imagine that a painted rotor surface would provide good braking.

but then read that it's ok to do it, so I'm really uncertain.

Please advise!

2004 Ford Explorer

Please provide a link to the thread where someone actually says it's ok........

Brakes do get hot, but people powder coat calipers and rotors daily--

There is a lot of surface to dress up to a rotor besides the pad surface, and, they make high temp coatings for just this thing. :D

Baer_Challenger_2.jpg

images

Your brake pad backings are all coated --BTW

But that's not doing the
"brake surface" of the rotors with brake caliper/rotor paint? Meaning the front, visible side of the rotors where the pads meet with rotor?
part as the OP put it

This thread makes baby jesus cry.

I believe the OP has mixed up their info. Painting the contact surface of a Rotor is just plain dumb by any means. I have seen non-contact surfaces of rotors painted, but painting any portion of the rotor will cause a reduction in the cooling ability and can lead to premature failure.

Painting the rotors would be a very dumb idea, the paint would be GONE after just one or two minor stops, leaving residue all over

People paint the rotor mounting surfaces all day...premium rotors come with this already done...but NEVER paint the contact surface...it will come off and contaminate the friction material in the process...

everything else is fair game to paint...with high temp coatings only!

buy rotors for something european from worldpac, theyll be an anti rust coating over the entire rotor, including the contact zone. drive the thing down the street and what do you know, no more paint where the pads touch

sounds like someones been hanging out on the ricer forums

dresing up all the non friction surfaces, calipers, etc ,as has been said, is cool for either anti rust or for looks

Sorry for this bump, but would it be cheap to buy the brake rotors with anti rust?

the "anti rust" is for when they are in the box on the shelf. All rotors rust when in use. Unless the "NON CONTACT" surfaces are painted with a suitable hi-temp paint or power coat. You do NOT paint the area the pad rides on. You do NOT color the area the pad rides on. You do NOT powder coat the area the pad rides on. If you want purty colored rotors, the buy a model car.

Steve, I have painted the rotors on my show cars and never had any problems (which are driven regularly not trailer queens). I have painted them black and also painted them silver. Just prepare the surface you want to paint so there is no grease, oil, dirt ect. Spray away, wait till they dry, put them back on the car, apply the brakes a few times and you have a perfectly painted rotor. End of story no problems ever!!!:)

I gotta admit, this is the "thrillingest" thread I've read yet! imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I gotta admit, this is the "thrillingest" thread I've read yet! imp
Sarcasm or you lead one boring life.

Back