• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Painting Bumper/Grill

I really don't like the chrome look of my bumper and grill so I was thinking of painting them.

My truck:
fe.jpg

Yes? No?
And any opinions as to flat black or gloss black? Bedliner for bumper maybe?

Oh and I was also wondering if there was anyone on here who could photoshop a pic of my truck for me?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blue88b2

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Oregun
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer
You should paint it the same color as the explorer, red. I think that looks best.

-jason

ExplorerGal

Reaction score
City, State
Cold Lake, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XL
Well I was considering going for a black theme. Painting my rims black, tinting my headlights and tail lights, painting my grill/bumpers, re-paint the trim and get new window tint. I just can't really picture it, so I need someone to photoshop a pic for me

CCr

Reaction score
City, State
Ray ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT, 66 Mustang
my experience with this is that it's tough to get anything to stick to the chrome

vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
my experience with this is that it's tough to get anything to stick to the chrome

it can be done, you have to sand blast it first, then you put epoxy primer on it, then prime it. i have done it to a few bumpers, and haven't had any problems.

BlackHawk09er

Reaction score
City, State
Cypress Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Well I was considering going for a black theme. Painting my rims black, tinting my headlights and tail lights, painting my grill/bumpers, re-paint the trim and get new window tint. I just can't really picture it, so I need someone to photoshop a pic for me

I was thinking about doin the same thing, but ive got a 01 sport
i think it looks great

go for it:thumbsup:

BlackHawk09er

Reaction score
City, State
Cypress Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
try herculiner

blueka

Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
I hated all the chrome on mine, so I ditched it all, but I bought the plastic front bumper off the 2000 model instead of painting.

Si

Treleaven

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XL
I believe that is the route I am going to take. Just hit up a junkyard for the plastic versions of everything you want painted. I am even thinking on painting my fender flares, but now that you say the paint is hard to get to stick to the chrome, maybe I will just ditch them as well. I want to pick up the bumper with the fog lights already in it. Found a junk yard in town here that has quite a few Explorers kicking around.

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I liked the chrome on mine, and just painted the grey/purplish trim black. I really like the way it came out.

cjryan

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XL 4.0 OHV 4x4
chrome photoshop out

I was considering blacking out the chrome on my grill, but I don't think I will. I think I'm going to paint the gray trim black, like paraphoe. I photoshopped my chrome grill black though. Here's before and after.

Before:
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?image=http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2717/3721/31791860003_large.jpg?43121-007

After (I know the black looks weird, but this was just for a general idea):
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?image=http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2717/3721/31791860002_large.jpg?17109-009

2-Stripe

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xls
If you lived closer I would trade you but eh.

cjryan

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XL 4.0 OHV 4x4