Painting Bumper Trim? Krylon Fusion Paint tougher to find | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting Bumper Trim? Krylon Fusion Paint tougher to find

firefly1246

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 EB
I had been planning on painting my bumpers and side trim black with Krylon Fusion Satin Black. 6 months ago the paint was available nearly anywhere spray paint was sold. This weekend I finally had the time, weather perfect, etc to knock out the project. Wal Mart, Lowes, and Home Depot no longer stock it. I ended up getting 2 cans from advance auto, and a couple more from Ace Hardware.

So this is Just an FYI to anyone who has used this paint on their bumpers you might want to get some touch up cans now before they are really tough to find.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how durable Krylon Fusion would be on bumpers/cladding. Auto parts stores sell plastic bumper specific paint and I know it comes in a couple of colors. I plan to repaint my bumpers and side cladding with the gray bumper paint and will use an adhesion promoter first. I've also used Krylon Max on plastic interior pieces and found it to be very durable. Maybe the Krylon Maxx is replacing Krylon Fusion?

Koda, I think you're right about the Maxx replacing the Fusion. I've been looking for a spare fusion can and ran into the same problem. I wish they still made it since it has held up so well on mine. I ended up grabbing a can of Maxx for touchups though. I think the reason that Krylon is switching is because Maxx is now advertised to adhere to more materials than just plastic.

Koda, I think you're right about the Maxx replacing the Fusion. I've been looking for a spare fusion can and ran into the same problem. I wish they still made it since it has held up so well on mine. I ended up grabbing a can of Maxx for touchups though. I think the reason that Krylon is switching is because Maxx is now advertised to adhere to more materials than just plastic.

Yes, possibly. You may recall I painted my ST's silver interior parts with Maxx silver about a year ago. Recently it appeared that it as beginning to wear off on my driver's door pull-bar. Then it seemed to get much worst all of a sudden. On closer examination it turned out to just be dirty (I didn't know my hands were so dirty) and it cleaned up like new with a little cleaner. So it appears the Maxx is very durable. The console has even stood up to my dog scrambling over it with her nails for 12 months w/o scratching. IDK if it comes in a color like the OE bumper gray, but if it does I might use that on my faded exterior plastic.

Yes, possibly. You may recall I painted my ST's silver interior parts with Maxx silver about a year ago. Recently it appeared that it as beginning to wear off on my driver's door pull-bar. Then it seemed to get much worst all of a sudden. On closer examination it turned out to just be dirty (I didn't know my hands were so dirty) and it cleaned up like new with a little cleaner. So it appears the Maxx is very durable. The console has even stood up to my dog scrambling over it with her nails for 12 months w/o scratching. IDK if it comes in a color like the OE bumper gray, but if it does I might use that on my faded exterior plastic.

I remember you posting about that. Impressive that it held up to the dog test too!

It appears they have 2 gray options but I don't know if either are really as dark as the oem gray. Hard to tell online.

http://www.krylon.com/products/supermaxx-allinone/

I remember you posting about that. Impressive that it held up to the dog test too!

It appears they have 2 gray options but I don't know if either are really as dark as the oem gray. Hard to tell online.

http://www.krylon.com/products/supermaxx-allinone/

I'll have to see what Maxx colors "Wally World" stocks. A darker gray would be okay with me. If anyone needs 2 cans of Fusion park bench green let me know. I bought it years ago with the intention of painting some plastic lawn furniture. The furniture is long gone, but the paint remains... LOL.

Found elsewhere on the web that krylon is still making it but that certain vendors are no longer carrying it. Advance Auto and Ace Hardware are still carrying it per Krylon.

Back