Painting Concrete & Brick (more fun with MSPaint) | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Painting Concrete & Brick (more fun with MSPaint)

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Hey Fellas, another long, mostly pointless post with pics from Robb! :)

Finally, I should have a nice weekend, when I am in town, to finish up a home project that I started last December. I built a little porch roof on the front of the house, then the weather got cold, and now it is time to finish it.

When I bought this house, it had a cheesy aluminum storm door on the front, with a cheesy aluminum awning covering the porch stoop. The awning looked like crap, and was installed too long, so the storm door couldn't open all the way before hitting it. The storm door looked like crap also, but it is a 84" door (standard is 80"), so this makes replacement doors about 3 times more expensive than a standard storm door.

Then one day, I am taking some junk to the dump, and over in the "Too Good To Throw Away" part, there is an old school, wooden 84" screen door. I grab it. Get it home, and figure since I am replacing the storm door, might as well take the awning down and build a real roof.........................so, my free screen door quickly becomes a full weekend project with $300 worth of materials! :D So, I build the roof, hang the door, and the project stalls until now. All I have left is a little finish trim work, chaulking, priming, and painting.

So (yes I know I ramble), I want to paint the concrete stoop and the brick steps to match. Question 1, what do I need to do to prep the brick and mortar for paint? The concrete has been painted before, so prep work really shouldn't be needed, but I would like to add some "grit" to the paint on the concrete, it gets real slick when wet. So, Question 2, what do I add to paint to make it "gritty?" I would like to use the same hunter green paint for everything, so after I paint everything else, I would like to be able to add sand, or something else, to the paint, to finish up the stoop.

Thanks for any help here!

The pics:
1st: Front of house when bought
2nd: Porch roof now
3rd: MSPaint version of finished product

Attachments

• house when bought.jpg
    house when bought.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 298
  • preporch.jpg
    preporch.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 298
  • porch.JPG
    porch.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 363
<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
Very nice!! I wish I could build something like that, or anything at all. :D

<

EMG7895

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt, 93
to prepare the concrete u use something called concrete etch and to add grip i think u can buy paint with it already mixed or u buy the stuff and mix it ur self, im pretty sure u can get all of this at home depot or lowes and make sure u buy concrete paint for the concrete because normal house paint will just crack and fall off

<

Broccoli1

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '93 xlt
nice job; i would side the front of it to match the siding on the house. That plywood will not last very long even painted.

<

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
Thats a good idea...put siding on the top part, and paint the rest.....

<

<

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Well, a bunch of stuff popped up yesterday and today, so all I got done was get some boards up in the back (where I had to rip some of the aluminum off), and got some stuff caulked.

About putting siding on the front, I thought about it. Two reasons why no, one: there really isn't enough area there for them to look right, and two: the siding on the house is 30 year old aluminum and impossible to match. Modern day dutch lap siding isn't quite shaped like that, so new stuff would look a little funky.

Thanks EMG7895 and Charlie for the grit advice. I am thinking I will just throw some course sand in the mix, and call it good. Anything is better than the slick a$$ paint that is on there.

<

<

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
Looks great Robb- did you think about doubling the posts- they look light compared to the bulk of the roof they hold up. Design wise doubled posts on each side may make a difference in how it "feels".
painting:
I would pressure wash the concrete.
then I would etch it with some muratic acid(using pressure washer to remove it. Let it dry for a couple of days.
The floor areas I would use a two part epoxy- check a local paint store (Duron,Sherwin Williams etc)they will have a pro grade two part to use. Also the texture additive to use on the floor. First coat no texture- second with texture. They should be able to match the color you need-or get close. If cost is a consideration the paint shop may have an acrylic floor paint they could match to your color scheme. It wouldnt have to be mixed(1 part vs 2), and getting two coats on could be done in a day.

If you use sand make sure its got absolutely no organics in it. They will break the film after a while and cause all sorts of problems down the road. You can get a small pint sized container of traction materials that should be more reliable and consistant sized. You dont want large pieces- just some roughness.

The walls I would prime with a decent acrylic primer and then two coats of acrylic.

With a good prep and etch the paint should last 10-15yrs since most of its covered- the exposed horizontal surfaces maybe a few years less.

<

Trckmagik

Ole Bag
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Celina, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Your bushes have grown very nicely from the first picture to the second :)

<

Broccoli1

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '93 xlt

Attachments

• preporch2.jpg
    preporch2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 204
<

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
Nice Ed,

Thats the idea- I think the proportions look a bit better.

Doesnt look like theres enough room on the stoop for a post/space/post with the space equal to the posts.

ah fun fun

<

Broccoli1

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '93 xlt
This is about as close to working on a house as I'm gonna get- for a while. That house would be about 175,000 in S. Central, 275,000 a little out of Watts and 500,000 in the neighborhood where I rent an apt. :(

<